Nadur Yakhni Ingredients
1/2 kg Nadur (Lotus Root)
- 2 cups Yogurt
- 1 tsp Caraway Seeds (shahi jeera)
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Powder (saunf)
- 1 tsp Sonth (ginger powder)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 inch stick Cinnamon
- 4 small Green Cardamom
- 5 Cloves
- 2 big Black Cardamom
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1/4 tsp Heeng (asafoetida powder)
- Salt to taste
How to make Nadur Yakhni
- Cut lotus root into round slices.
- Put the slices in a pressure cooker and add 2 small & 1 big crushed cardamom, cloves, bay leaves, 1/2 tsp shahi jeera, heeng and salt.
- Pour 2 cups of water in the pressure cooker and cook till first whistle.
- Drain the excess water and keep the boiled slices aside.
- Beat yogurt in a bowl and add ginger powder, fennel powder, 1 crushed black cardamom, crushed cinnamon and cumin powder.
- Mix the contents well.
- Warm oil in a pan and add yogurt mixture.
- Sauté at low heat for about five minutes until thick.
- Now add boiled & drained nadur slices in yogurt sauce and simmer for 5 minutes again.
- Crush the remaining 2 green cardamoms and 1/2 tsp shah jeera in a pestle.
- Sprinkle it over the dish.
- Keep the dish covered for a few minutes.
- Nadur Yakhni is ready to serve with rice.
serves: 4 people