- 1 1/2 cups dried pinto beans
- 1 1/2 cups dried kidney beans
- 1 1/2 cups dry great Northern beans
- 14 cups water
- 1/2 pound salt pork, cut into 1/8″ strips
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 3 cups water
- 3 teaspoons dry mustard
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 11/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Pick over and wash dried beans. Rinse well, drain. Combine beans and water in a large Dutch oven or cast-iron pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and allow to stand one hour. Drain and return beans to Dutch oven.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, leaving salt pork near top. Cover and bake at 300° for three hours. Uncover, and bake an additional 30 minutes or until beans are tender.