- 450gms /1lb shelled Matter (green peas)
- 250gms / 1/2lb Paneer
- 2 medium onions (chopped)
- 6 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 green chilies (chopped)
- 250gms / 1/2 lb tomatoes (peeled and sliced)
- Salt To Taste
- 1cup curd / plain yogurt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup ghee / vegetable oil
- Garam masala powder
- Chopped coriander leaves
- Make a paste by grinding together half the onions, the garlic and coriander seeds.
- Heat the ghee in a frying pan and cut the paneer into 2.5-cm/1-inch cubes. Fry the paneer to a light brown and remove to drain on a plate.
- Add the remaining onion and the ginger to the ghee / oil in a pan and add the bay leaves and fry until the onion is golden brown.
- Add the turmeric and the paste mixture and fry until the ghee starts to separate.
- Add the paneer and mutter (peas) along with the yogurt, chili, tomato and salt. Stir for 5-6 minutes over low heat.
- Pour in the water and simmer gently for 20 minutes. Serve the matar paneer sprinkled with garam masala and coriander.