Kimchi Style Cabbage Ingredients
1/2 cup kosher salt, divided
- 2 3/4 pounds napa (Chinese) cabbage, quartered lengthwise
- 2 cups thinly sliced green onions (about 2 bunches)
- 2 cups finely grated peeled daikon radish (about 1 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons sambal oelek (ground fresh chile paste)
How to make Kimchi Style Cabbage
- Reserve 1/2 teaspoon salt; set aside. Place cabbage in a large bowl; sprinkle remaining salt over cabbage, sprinkling between leaves. Weigh down cabbage with
a smaller bowl filled with cans. Let stand at room temperature for 2 hours; drain.
Rinse cabbage thoroughly under cold water; drain. Remove cabbage leaves from
core; discard core.
- Combine reserved 1/2 teaspoon salt, onions, and remaining ingredients in a
medium bowl. Spread radish mixture onto cabbage leaves; arrange leaves in layers
in a 1-quart airtight container, pressing leaves to compress mixture. Top leaves with
any remaining radish mixture. Cover and refrigerate 1 week. Store in an airtight
container in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
Kimchi Style Cabbage is ready to serve.
YIELD: 32 servings