Keema Bharay Karelay Ingredients:
Keema Bharay Karelay Recipe
- 5 Bitter Gourds (Karailay)
- 2 pounds of Minced Beef (Keema)
- 3 large Onions (peeled & sliced) (all 3 seperated)
- 2 medium Tomatoes
- 1 more small Tomato (for garnish)
- 4 Green Chillies (Hari Mirch) (more or less may be used depending on taste preferance.)
- 5 cloves of Garlic (Lehsan) (chopped)
- 1 (2-inch) piece of Ginger (Adrak) (freshly grated)
- A few strands of Fresh Coriander/Cilantro Leaves (Hara Dhania) (chopped) (for garnish)
- 1 tsp. of Red Chilli Powder (Pisi Lal Mirch)
- 3 tbsp. of Salt (or as needed to cover bitter gourds)
- 2 tbsp. of Cooking Oil
- More Cooking Oil (for deep frying)
- Thread (for sewing bitter gourds)
- Needle (for sewing bitter gourds)
- ½ cup of Water
How to make Keema Bharay Karelay:
- Take the bitter gourds and peel off the skin. Cut each bitter gourd longways and de-seed them. Sprinkle salt all over the bitter gourds to cover them well with salt. Set aside for atleast 3 hours (overnight if possible.)
- With warm water wash the bitter gourds well and rinse them.
- In a frying pan heat 2 tablespoons of oil. To the oil add the minced beef, 1 onion, 1 tomato, garlic, ginger, 1 teaspoon of red chilli powder and 1 teaspoon of salt. Saute well on medium heat until the beef is well cooked. (You may add a little water if necessary to prevent burning.)
- Fill each bitter gourd with the minced beef. Then sew the bittergourds with thread and a needle, so they do not open while frying. In a deep fryer or karai, deep fry bittergourds in oil on medium heat until they turn golden.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan. Add 1 onion, 1 tomato, 1 teaspoon of red chilli powder, 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ cup of water. Cook on low heat for about 15 minutes or until the tomato gets soft and onion is transparent. Mash it with a spoon to make a gravy. Add ¼ cup of oil and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add bitter gourds to the gravy and simmer for another five minutes on low heat. Garnish with chopped tomato, onion, green chilli and coriander/cilantro leaves.