- Water – 1/2 cup
- Coconut Cream – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp, ground
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Cucumber – 1 large, cut into small pieces
- Red Pepper – 1 large, cut into small pieces
- Salted Peanuts – 1/2 cup, crushed
- Vegetable Oil – 4 tblsp
- Dried Red Chillies – 2
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 4 to 6
- Garlic – 4 cloves, crushed
- Salt as per taste
- Whole Salted Peanuts – few, to garnish
1. Bring the water to the boil in a heavy pan and add the creamed coconut, turmeric, sugar and salt.
2. Simmer until the coconut dissolves and the mixture becomes a smooth, thick sauce.
3. Add the cucumber, red pepper and crushed peanuts and simmer for about 5 minutes. Transfer to a heatproof serving dish and keep hot.
4. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Fry the chillies and cumin with the mustard seeds until they start to pop.
5. Reduce the heat, add the curry leaves and garlic and fry for 2 minutes.
6. Pour over the cucumber mixture and stir well.
7. Garnish with whole peanuts and serve hot.