Recipes for Yogurt
Banana Yogurt Smoothie Ingredients:
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup non-fat yogurt
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 cup ice, crushed
How to make Banana Yogurt Smoothie:
Combine ingredients and blend until smooth.
Dahi Bhindi Ingredients:
- 500 gms okra tops and tails removed and then cut into 1″ pieces
- 3 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp onions seeds
- 2 large onions cut into slices
- 2 large tomatoes cut into cubes
- 2 tsps coriander
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 3 tbsps yogurt
- Salt to taste
- Chopped fresh coriander to garnish
How to make Dahi Bhindi:
- Heat the oil in a deep pan and add the cumin and onion seeds. When they stop spluttering, add the sliced onions.
- Fry till the onions are golden. Add all the spices and stir well. Fry for 2-3 minutes. Now add the okra and mix. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, yogurt and salt to taste and mix well.
- Cook till okra is soft.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with hot Chapatis (Indian flatbread) and Lehsuni Daal (garlic flavored lentils).
Potato in Yogurt Gravy Ingredients:
- 2 large boiled potatoes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- Pinch of asafetida (hing)
- 2 teaspoons besan (gram flour)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tablespoons yogurt
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder (dhania)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 chopped cilantro (hara dhania)
- 1 1/2 cups of water
How to make Potato in Yogurt Gravy:
- Boil the potatoes until they are tender.
- Peel and cut them in bite size pieces.
- Mix the yogurt, ginger, green chilies, turmeric powder, coriander powder and paprika into a paste.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil. If the cumin seed cracks right away, the oil is ready.
- Add the cumin seeds and asafetida. After the cumin seeds crack, add the bay leaf and besan (gram flour). Stir for about half a minute until the besan (gram flour) is golden-brown.
- Add the yogurt paste and stir-fry for about 2 minutes on medium heat until the paste starts leaving the oil from the sides.
- Add the potatoes and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add about one cup of water. After the gravy boils, let it cook on low-medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes. Adjust the water in gravy to your liking.
- Add the cilantro and salt and continue to cook for a few minutes. Serve with any kind of bread.
Yogurt chicken drumsticks Ingredients:
- 8 skinless chicken drumsticks
- 142ml pot natural yogurt
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
How to make yogurt chicken drumsticks:
- With a sharp knife, make a few slashes in each drumstick. Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl, season to taste. Add the drumsticks, rubbing the mixture well into the meat. If you have time, cover and chill for 30 mins.
- Remove the drumsticks from the marinade, shaking off the excess. Cook them on the barbecue for 20-25 mins, turning occasionally, until cooked through.
Chilled Cucumber Yogurt Soup Ingredients:
- 4 large seedless cucumbers (about 1 lb each)
- 1 1/2 quarts low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- smoked salmon, diced
- cucumber, sliced thin
- radishes, sliced
- rye bread croutons
- fresh dill
How to make Chilled Cucumber Yogurt Soup:
- Peel cucumbers and cut into chunks.
- Place in food processor and process until pureed.
- Transfer mixture to large bowl.
- Add yogurt, dill, garlic and seasoning; stir until blended.
- Chill until served.
Mango Yogurt Pudding Ingredients:
- 400ml Low fat natural/mango flavored yogurt
- 500ml Hi-cal low fat milk
- 500g mango puree
- 90g castar sugar
- 200g cubed fresh mangoes (adjust amount according to your own preference)
- 100ml water
- 30g gelatin powder
How to make Mango Yogurt Pudding:
- Heat milk with sugar till sugar just dissolved. Remove from heat and leave to cool.
- Stir mango puree and yogurt into cooled milk. Strain for a smoother texture.
Creamy Saffron Yogurt Ingredients:
- 700g Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp cardamom pods
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 8-10 saffron strands
- 1 tsp milk
- 1 tbsp shelled pistachios , slivered
- 1 large ripe mango , sliced
How to make Creamy Saffron Yogurt:
- Place a piece of muslin or thick kitchen paper in a large sieve set over a large bowl. Spoon the yogurt into the sieve, cover with another piece of muslin or 2 sheets of kitchen paper and set aside at room temperature for 25-30 minutes (this is done to remove excess moisture).
- Remove the seeds from the cardamom pods and crush them using a pestle and mortar – you will need 1 tsp of ground cardamom.
- Lift off and discard the top layer of paper from the yogurt, then scrape the yogurt into a bowl and stir in the sugar. Mix the saffron strands with the milk, then add the lot to the yogurt with the ground cardamom. Give the yogurt mixture a good stir for a few minutes so the ingredients are well mixed. (You can make up to this stage a day ahead and keep covered in the fridge.)
- Divide between 6 small glasses and scatter over the pistachios. Stand each glass on a saucer with some fresh mango slices on the side and serve at room temperature.
Ginger Yogurt Ingredients:
- 1 pink grapefruit, peeled
- 2 large tangerines or Minneolas, peeled
- 3 navel oranges
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 16- or 17.6-ounce container Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup minced crystallized ginger
- 1/4 cup golden brown sugar
- Additional dried cranberries
- print a shopping list for this recipe
How to make Ginger Yogurt:
Break grapefruit and tangerines into sections. Cut grapefruit sections into thirds; cut tangerine sections in half. Transfer grapefruit, tangerines, and all juices to deep serving bowl. Using small sharp knife, cut all peel and white pith from oranges. Slice oranges into 1/4-inch-thick rounds, then cut slices into quarters. Add oranges and all juices to same bowl. Mix in 1/2 cup dried cranberries, honey, and cinnamon. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Mix yogurt and ginger in bowl. (Fruit and yogurt can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover separately; chill.)
Yogurt Salad Ingredients:
- 1 (8 ounce) container plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
How to make Yogurt Salad:
In a small bowl, beat together yogurt and lemon juice until smooth. Stir in mustard, parsley, and chives. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Yogurt Drink Ingredients:
- 1 cup yogurt or buttermilk
- ½ cup water
- 12 mint leaves
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 8 ice cubes
- Whole fresh mint leaves for garnish
How to make Yogurt Drink:
- Blend together all the ingredients except the ice cubes and whole mint leaves for the garnish until smooth in a blender.
- Add the ice cubes and continue to blend another 20 to 30 seconds. Pour into glasses and garnish with the mint leaves. Serve.