Recipes for Yogurt
Fruit Yogurt Ingredients:
300 g Yogurt (whisked)
- Powdered Sugar to taste
- 150 g Seasonal Fruit (Finely chopped or pureed)
How to make Fruit Yogurt:
- Add the fruits to the yogurt and mix well, keeping few fruit slices or a tbsp of puree for decoration.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar if necessary. Pour the mixture into serving glasses and chill for at least an hour.
Fruit Yogurt is ready to serve.
Swiss Chard Tzatziki Ingredients
1 cup finely chopped Swiss chard leaves (remove ribs*)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- A dash of cayenne
- 3 (9-inch diameter) pita breads, cut like a pie into triangles
- Olive oil for drizzling on to the pita bread
How to make Swiss Chard Tzatziki
- Bring a 1 or 2 quart saucepan, half filled with water, to a boil. Add the chopped chard leaves. Cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes. While the chard is cooking, prepare a bowl with ice water for an ice bath. When the chard is cooked, strain through a fine mesh strainer and put into the ice bath to stop the cooking. Drain and set aside.
- Using mortar and pestle, grind the garlic and salt into a paste. In a medium-sized bowl, stir in the yogurt, chard, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
- Cut the pita bread into triangles and layout in one layer in a broiling pan (use a sturdy broiling pan, not a cookie sheet or your cookie sheet will warp). Drizzle olive oil on one side of the pita wedges. Use a pastry brush to spread the olive oil more evenly. Place in a broiler. Broil for 5 minutes or until the pita bread starts to toast. Remove and let cool for a minute.
- Serve the tzatziki with the pita wedges.
- Swiss Chard Tzatziki is ready to serve.
Banana Yogurt Pie Ingredients
2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2 frozen bananas, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup low-fat evaporated milk, chilled
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 banana, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
How to make Banana Yogurt Pie
- Combine the rolled oats, dates, vanilla extract, orange juice, and cocoa powder in the bowl of a food processor. Blend for 3 minutes, or until mixture sticks together. Press the mixture thinly around the sides and base of a 9 inch pie dish and refrigerate.
- Place the gelatin in a small bowl. Pour boiling water over gelatin, stir to dissolve, and set aside to cool.
- Place frozen bananas in food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Add milk and blend for 3-4 minutes. Add extra vanilla and yogurt and mix well. Add dissolved gelatin. Pour mixture into the base of the pie dish and refrigerate until firm.
- Soak the extra banana in the lemon juice, slice and place on top of pie. Sprinkle with nutmeg and serve.
- Banana Yogurt Pie Recipe is ready to serve.
Prep Time:30 Min
Ready In:1 Hr
Spicy Yogurt Chicken Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/2 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 chicken drumsticks, skin removed or 4 boneless, skinless thighs
How to make Spicy Yogurt Chicken:
- Place hot water in a small bowl and crumble saffron threads over it. Steep for 5 minutes. Combine yogurt, onion, garlic, cayenne, lemon juice, honey, oil, salt, cumin and cinnamon in a shallow dish. Stir in the saffron water. Add drumsticks or thighs and coat well. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 12 hours.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and set an oiled rack on top. Place the drumsticks or thighs on the rack and bake until the chicken is golden brown on the outside and no longer pink in the center, about 30-40 minutes.
Chicken Yogurt Curry Ingredients:
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
How to make Chicken Yogurt Curry:
- Place chicken and water in a medium saucepan and simmer over medium low heat for about 15 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside.
- When water is almost reduced, season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. In a small bowl, combine yogurt and curry powder and mix together. Stir this mixture into saucepan until all chicken pieces are coated, then simmer for another 5 minutes to heat through and marinate.
Strawberry Yogurt Trifle Ingredients
5 cups cubed angel food cake
- 1 cup (8 ounces) vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup whipped topping, divided
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon flaked coconut, toasted
How to make Strawberry Yogurt Trifle
- Place cake cubes in a 2-qt. bowl.
- Combine the yogurt and 3/4 cup whipped topping; spoon over the cake. Top with the strawberries and remaining whipped topping.
- Sprinkle with coconut.
- Strawberry Yogurt Trifle is ready to serve.
Yield: 4-5 servings
Prep/Total Time: 20 min.
Strawberry Cream Trifle Ingredients
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) package frozen pound cake, thawed
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 1 (16 ounce) container frozen sliced strawberries in syrup, thawed
- 1 lemon
- 3 (8 ounce) containers blended strawberry yogurt
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package cheesecake flavor instant pudding and pie filling
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
How to make Strawberry Cream Trifle
- Coarsely chop almonds. Cut pound cake into 1 inch cubes; set aside.
- Set aside one strawberry for garnish. Hull remaining strawberries and cut into quarters. In a small bowl combine fresh and frozen strawberries, mix well.
- Juice lemon to measure 2 tablespoons. Place in a large bowl and whisk in yogurt and pudding mix until smooth. Put half of the cool whip container in bowl and fold mixture inches Reserve the other half of the cool whip.
- To assemble trifle: place one third of the pound cake into bottom of a trifle bowl. Top pound cake with one-third of strawberry mixture. Top with half the yogurt mixture, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with one third of toasted almonds. Repeat layers one more time. Top with remaining pound cake cubes and remaining strawberries.
- To garnish, spread reserved cool whip topping over top of trifle, forming a flat surface. Sprinkle remaining almonds over cool whip. You can then sprinkle with powdered sugar and create a strawberry “fan” with reserved strawberry. To do this just use an egg slicer and place strawberry, stem down in the slicer. Slice most of the way down through the wires. Remove the strawberry from the wires and gently fan out the slices.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
Yield: 12 servings
Three Berry Lemon Trifle Ingredients
1 can (14 ounces) fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free reduced-sugar lemon yogurt
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 carton (8 ounces) reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
How to make Three Berry Lemon Trifle
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, yogurt, lemon juice and peel. Fold in 2 cups whipped topping.
In a 3-qt. trifle bowl or deep salad bowl, layer a third of the cake cubes, a third of the lemon mixture and all of the strawberries. Repeat cake and lemon mixture layers. Top with blueberries and remaining cake cubes and lemon mixture. Sprinkle with raspberries.
Spread remaining whipped topping over berries; sprinkle with almonds. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
Yield: 16 servings.
Prep: 25 min. including chilling time
Strawberry Lemon Trifle Ingredients
4 ounces fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup nonfat lemon yogurt
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant lemon pudding mix
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries, divided
- 1 tablespoon white grape juice or water
- 1 (10 inch) prepared angel food cake
How to make Strawberry Lemon Trifle
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and yogurt. Add the milk, pudding mix and lemon peel; beat until smooth.
- In a blender, process 1/2 cup strawberries and grape juice until smooth.
- Tear cake into 1-in. cubes; place a third in a trifle bowl or 3-qt. serving bowl. Top with a third of the pudding mixture and half of the remaining strawberries. Drizzle with half of the strawberry sauce. Repeat. Top with remaining cake and pudding mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Strawberry Lemon Trifle is ready to serve.
Yield 14 servings
Yogurt-Spiced Chicken with Almond & Coriander Rice Ingredients:
- 150ml natural yogurt
- 1 tbsp Madras or other Indian curry paste
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 onion , halved and sliced
- 3 cardamom pods , squashed
- 150g brown basmati rice
- 350ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp flaked almonds , toasted
- 1 red chilli , finely chopped (optional)
- ½ bunch coriander , chopped
How to make Yogurt-Spiced Chicken with Almond & Coriander Rice:
- Mix the yogurt and curry paste and toss with the chicken breasts. Heat a knob of butter in a wide shallow pan with a lid. Cook the onion and cardamom for 5 minutes then tip in the rice and stock. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until all the stock is absorbed and the rice is tender (you might need to add a little more stock).
- Griddle or grill the chicken breasts until golden and cooked through. Stir the almonds, chilli and coriander through the rice. Slice the breasts and sit on top of the rice.