Recipes for warm lentil salad
Warm Lentil Salad with Sausage Ingredients
2 cups French green lentils (13 oz), picked over and rinsed
- 6 cups water
- 1 California bay leaf or 2 Turkish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch dice (1 cup)
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch dice (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 lb smoked kielbasa or other smoked sausage (not low-fat), cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
How to make Warm Lentil Salad with Sausage
- Bring lentils, water, and bay leaf to a boil in a 2- to 3-quart heavy saucepan, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until almost tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt, then simmer lentils, covered, until tender but not falling apart, 3 to 5 minutes.
- While lentils simmer, cook onion, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are just softened, 7 to 9 minutes.
- Make vinaigrette by whisking together vinegar, mustard, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a bowl. Add remaining 1/2 cup oil in a slow stream, whisking until blended well.
- Drain lentils in a colander, discarding bay leaf, and return to saucepan along with vegetable mixture and vinaigrette. Cook over low heat, stirring, until heated through. Keep warm, covered.
- Brown kielbasa in cleaned and dried 12-inch heavy skillet (in 2 batches if necessary), turning over once, about 2 minutes per batch. Stir kielbasa and parsley into lentils.
Warm Lentil Salad with Sausage is ready to serve.
yield: 4 servings
cook time: 35 min
total time: 50 min
Warm Lentil Salad Ingredients
1/4 cup lentils
- 1/4 cup wild rice
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup sliced green bell pepper
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
How to make Warm Lentil Salad
- Separately, cook the lentils and wild rice according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, pour about 1/2 inch of water into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Fit a steamer basket in pan. Place the spinach in steamer, cover, and steam until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Spoon the warm rice and lentils over the steamed spinach.
- Top with the bell pepper, scallion, oil, and black pepper.
Warm Lentil Salad is ready to serve.
Yield: Makes 1 serving