Recipes for Velvet
White Velvet Wedding Cake Ingredients
- 4½ large egg whites
- 1 cup whole milk (room temperature)
- 2¼ tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1½ cups superfine sugar
- 1 Tbsp.+ 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 1½ sticks unsalted, softened butter
- 2 cups butter (salted)
- 2 cups Crisco
- 2 Tbsp. vanilla
- 2 lbs. confectioner’s sugar
How to make White Velvet Wedding Cake
- Combine egg whites, ¼ cup milk and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients and blend for 30 seconds until just combined.
- Add butter and remaining milk. Mix on low until just moistened then increase to medium speed and beat 1½ minutes to aerate. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add egg mixture in 3 equal batches and beat 20 seconds after each. Scrape sides.
- Cut wax paper circles, the size of your cake pans. Spray Bakers’ Joy in each pan and place wax paper on bottom. Pour mix into pans. Spinning pans in circles will distribute the mixture evenly, and get out some of the lumps.
- Bake 20-30 minutes at 325°. Finished cake should not be jiggly, but should never pull away from the sides.
- When done, remove from oven and invert after 5 minutes onto a cooling rack.
- For Icing:
- Blend butter, Crisco and vanilla for 10 minutes until smooth. Add sugar and blend just until thoroughly blended.
- Store in tupperware, in refrigerator or at room temperature.
- For chocolate icing, add cocoa powder and 1 Tbsp. milk. For lemon, replace vanilla with lemon extract. For peanut butter, replace Crisco with peanut butter.
- White Velvet Wedding Cake is ready to serve.
yields: 1 cake
prep time:30 min
total time:1 hr