Traditional Chips Ingredients
Allow 200-250g of potatoes per person
- Pre-heat dripping, lard or vegetable oil
How to make Traditional Chips
- Peel your potatoes, then for thick-cut chips, cut into 1cm slices then slice these into 1cm-wide chips. For allumettes (thin shoestring like chips) follow the same procedure, but cut them ½cm thick.
- Wash the chips in water then drain on kitchen paper.
- Place the chips in a pan of cold water, bring to the boil and simmer for a couple minutes for allumettes and about 3-4 minutes for thick cut.
- Drain in a colander and leave to cool.
- Pre-heat dripping, lard or vegetable oil to 120°C in a deep-fat fryer. Blanch your chips two or three handfuls at a time until they are soft but not coloured. Remove from the fat and drain.
- To serve the chips, re-fry them in hot fat (200°C) until they are crisp, season lightly and serve immediately.
- Traditional Chips Recipe is ready to serve.