Traditional Christmas Cake Ingredients
2 cups Sunbeam Sultanas
- 1 cup Sunbeam Currants
- 1 cup chopped Sunbeam Raisins
- 1/2 cup halved Winn Red Glace Cherries
- 1/2 cup Winn Mixed Citrus Peel
- 1/3 cup rum
- 250g butter, chopped
- 1 cup CSR Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 4 eggs
- 100g Nestle Plaistowe Dark Cooking Chocolate, melted
- 2 tbs apricot jam
- 2 cups White Wings Plain Flour
- 2 tsp MasterFoods Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp MasterFoods Mixed Spice
- 125g Lucky Slivered Almonds
- 50g Nestle Plaistowe Dark Cooking Chocolate, melted, extra
- 50g Nestle Plaistowe Premium White, melted
- Icing sugar, to dust
How to make Traditional Christmas Cake
- Combine sultanas, currants, raisins, cherries, peel and rum in a large bowl, cover, and stand for 1 hour or until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease and line base and sides of a round 23cm (base measurement) deep cake pan with two layers each of brown paper and baking paper.
- Place butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and beat until light and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in chocolate and jam.
- Add creamed mixture to fruit mixture with sifted flour, cinnamon, mixed spice and almonds, and mix well.
- Spoon mixture evenly into prepared pan. Bake for 2 1/2 -3 hours or until cooked. Cover cake and allow to cool in pan overnight.
- Place 2 sheets of baking paper on a flat surface. Spread thinly and evenly with extra dark chocolate on one and white chocolate on the other. Set aside to cool. When almost set, cut out stars with pastry cutters. Place in the fridge until completely set. Dust cake with icing sugar and decorate with stars to serve.
Traditional Christmas Cake is ready to serve.
Preparation Time 25 minutes
Cooking Time 180 minutes