Recipes for tomato
Chicken Tomato Onion Ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 broiler-fryer chicken, cut in serving size pieces (about 3 pounds chicken parts)
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) tomatoes, drained and diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh chopped parsley
How to make Chicken Tomato Onion:
- Heat butter over medium heat in a large heavy skillet. Add chicken and brown on all sides; remove chicken.
- Add onion to the skillet; saute for about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add flour and garlic; stir until well blended. Whisk in wine and chicken broth; continue to cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened.
- Add half of the tomatoes, salt and pepper, and browned chicken. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken to a hot serving platter and keep hot. Add remaining tomatoes to the skillet and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with a little chopped fresh parsley.
- Chicken with tomatoes serves 4.
Tomato Soup Ingredients:
- 1 kg tomatoes
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 2-3 cardamoms
- 4 slices of bread (cut into cubes)
- 2 tbsp corn flour (dissolved in water)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp Chinese salt
- 1 tsp chili sauce
- 1 tsp Soya sauce
- 2 tsp oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make Tomato Soup
- Boil tomatoes with a cup of water along with cinnamon and cardamoms. Boil until soft.
- Blend in a food processor. Transfer the mixture in a pan and add seasoning, corn flour and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil until it becomes thick. Fry bread pieces in oil.
Tomato Soup is ready to serve hot with fried bread.
Tomato Chutney Ingredients
3 pounds of plum tomatoes, peeled and diced. (Unpeeled tomatoes will end up losing their peel in the mix, which is fine but affects the texture) shopping list
- 3 ounces of fresh ginger, finely grated shopping list
- 1 1/4 c sugar shopping list
- 1 red onion, diced very small shopping list
- 10 cloves of garlic, minced shopping list
- 3/4 c apple-cider vinegar shopping list
- 3/4 c balsamic vinegar shopping list
- 2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/3 c golden raisins (or dried apricots if you prefer) shopping list
How to make Tomato Chutney
- Simmer everything but the raisins into a heavy saucepan over low heat.
- Cook, stirring frequently over low heat, until you get syrup, about 45 minutes.
- Add the raisins and cook 5 to 10 minutes to make them plump.
- If the sauce seems runny while warm, it will thicken as it cools.
- Tomato Chutney is ready to serve.
Total Time : 55 minutes
Tomato Soup Ingredients
1-1.25kg/2lb 4oz-2lb 12oz ripe tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 small carrot
- 1 celery stick
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 squirts of tomato purée (about 2 tsp)
- a good pinch of sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1.2l hot vegetable stock (made with boiling water and 4 rounded tsp bouillon powder or 2 stock cubes)
How to make Tomato Soup
- Firstly, prepare your vegetables. If the tomatoes are on their vines, pull them off. The green stalky bits should come off at the same time, but if they don’t, just pull or twist them off afterwards. Throw the vines and green bits away and wash the tomatoes. Now cut each tomato into quarters and slice off any hard cores (they don’t soften during cooking and you’d get hard bits in the soup at the end). Peel the onion and carrot and chop them into small pieces. Chop the celery roughly the same size.
- Spoon the oil into a large heavy-based pan and heat it over a low heat. Hold your hand over the pan until you can feel the heat rising from the oil, then tip in the onion, carrot and celery and mix them together with a wooden spoon. Still with the heat low, cook the vegetables until they’re soft and faintly coloured. This should take about 10 minutes and you should stir them two or three times so they cook evenly and don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Holding the tube over the pan, squirt in about 2 tsp of tomato purée, then stir it around so it turns the vegetables red. Shoot the tomatoes in off the chopping board, sprinkle in a good pinch of sugar and grind in a little black pepper, then tear each bay leaf into a few pieces and throw them into the pan. Stir to mix everything together, put the lid on the pan and let the tomatoes stew over a low heat for 10 minutes until they shrink down in the pan and their juices flow nicely. From time to time, give the pan a good shake – this will keep everything well mixed.
- Slowly pour in the stock, stirring at the same time to mix it with the vegetables. Turn up the heat as high as it will go and wait until everything is bubbling, then turn the heat down to low again and put the lid back on the pan. Cook gently for 25 minutes, stirring a couple of times. At the end of cooking the tomatoes will have broken down and be very slushy looking.
- Remove the pan from the heat, take the lid off and stand back for a few seconds or so while the steam escapes, then fish out the pieces of bay leaf and throw them away. Ladle the soup into your blender until it’s about three-quarters full, fit the lid on tightly and turn the machine on full. Blitz until the soup’s smooth (stop the machine and lift the lid to check after about 30 seconds), then pour the puréed soup into a large bowl. Repeat with the soup that’s left in the pan. (The soup may now be frozen for up to 3 months. Defrost before reheating.)
- Pour the puréed soup back into the pan and reheat it over a medium heat for a few minutes, stirring occasionally until you can see bubbles breaking gently on the surface. Taste a spoonful and add a pinch or two of salt if you think the soup needs it, plus more pepper and sugar if you like. If the colour’s not a deep enough red for you, plop in another teaspoon of tomato purée and stir until it dissolves. Ladle into bowls and serve. Or sieve and serve chilled with some cream swirled in. For other serving suggestions, see opposite.
- Gourmet Stuffed Rolls is ready to serve.
Tomato Baguette Pizza Ingredients
3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 French bread baguette (10-1/2 ounces), halved lengthwise
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves, divided
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
How to make Tomato Baguette Pizza
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onions in oil until tender. Add the garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper; cook 1 minute longer.
- Place baguette halves on a baking sheet; sprinkle with 3/4 cup cheese. Top with 1/2 cup basil, mushroom mixture, tomatoes and remaining cheese.
- Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with remaining basil. Cut each portion into three slices.
- Tomato Baguette Pizza is ready to serve.
Prep/Total Time: 25 min.
Bruschetta with Tomato and Basil Ingredients
1/2 baguette or crusty long loaf bread, sliced (12 pieces)
- 2 large cloves garlic, cracked away from skin
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 3 small plum tomatoes, halved and seeded
- 20 fresh basil leaves
- Coarse salt
How to make Bruschetta with Tomato and Basil
- Preheat broiler to high, (if you prefer you can also grill the bread). Place bread slices on a broiler pan. Char bread on each side under hot broiler, keep an eye on it! Rub toasts with cracked garlic and drizzle with oil. Chop seeded tomatoes and place in a small bowl. Pile basil leaves on top of one another and roll into a log. Thinly slice basil into green confetti and loosely combine with tomatoes. Add a drizzle of oil and a little coarse salt to the bowl and gently toss tomatoes and basil to coat. Pile toasts around the bowl of topping. Place a spoon to scoop topping in bowl and serve.
- Bruschetta with Tomato and Basil is ready to serve.
Prep 10 min
Cook 2 min
Total: 12 min
Aaloo Tamatar Sabzi Ingredients
1 kg finely sliced potatoes
- 1 kg chopped tomatoes
- 6 to 7 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 2 lemons
- 2 green chillies
- 1/2 bunch of coriander (dhania) leaves
- 1 packet of National Achar Ghost Masala Mix
- 1/2 cup oil
How to make Aaloo Tamatar Sabzi
- Heat oil, add chopped tomatoes and achar ghost masala.
- Cook until oil forms a separate layer on top.
- In a separate frying pan, fry sliced tomatoes.
- Add fried tomatoes in the achar ghost masala mix.
- Allow it to simmer on low heat for 3-5 mins.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and squeeze lemon juice on top.
- Aaloo Tamatar Sabzi is ready to serve, hot.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Emily’s Easy Sausage and Spicy Tomato Dip Ingredients
1 (16 ounce) package pork sausage
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
How to make Emily’s Easy Sausage and Spicy Tomato Dip
- Cook the sausage in a skillet over medium heat until evenly browned and no longer pink. Drain. Reduce heat to low, and stir in the tomatoes and cream cheese until evenly blended. Cook just until heated through. Serve warm.
- Emily’s Easy Sausage and Spicy Tomato Dip is ready to serve.
Cook Time:15 Min
Ready In:15 Min
Mozzarella and Tomato Appetizer Tray Ingredients
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and julienned
- crushed red pepper to taste
How to make Mozzarella and Tomato Appetizer Tray
- In a medium bowl, mix together parsley, basil, oregano, capers, garlic and olive oil.
- On a serving platter, arrange mozzarella cheese slices and tomato slices in alternating layers. Top with roasted red peppers. Drizzle with the herb and olive oil mixture. Cover and chill in the refrigerator 30 minutes before sprinkling with crushed red pepper and serving.
- Mozzarella and Tomato Appetizer Tray is ready to serve.
Prep Time:20 Min
Ready In:50 Min
Tomato Corn and Avocado Salsa Ingredients
1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
- 1 1/2 cups diced roma tomatoes
- 3/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced jalapeno pepper
- 1 avocados – peeled, pitted and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
How to make Tomato Corn and Avocado Salsa
- Mix together corn, olives, tomatoes, onion, red pepper, and jalapeno pepper in a large bowl. Gently fold in diced avocado, olive oil, lime juice, and salt.
- Tomato Corn and Avocado is Salsa ready to serve.
Prep Time:30 Min
Ready In:30 Min