10 slices white sandwich bread
- 4 tomatoes cut in 1?2-in.-thick slices
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- 4 scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1?2 tsp salt
How to make Tomato and Cheese Strata
- Lightly grease an 8-in. square baking dish.
- Place 4 slices bread over bottom of dish.
- Arrange half the tomatoes, cheese and scallions on top.
- Cover with remaining 6 slices bread (overlapping) and rest of the tomatoes, cheese and scallions.
- Whisk eggs inside a large bowl to combine yolks and whites.
- Add milk and salt; whisk until blended. Pour over bread, cover and refrigerate at the least 2 hours or up to A day.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Uncover and bake strata 40 to 45 minutes until puffed and golden, and a narrow knife inserted near center comes out clean.
Tip: Bread that’s somewhat stale is okay to utilize within this puffy layered casserole.Core the tomatoes, then slice having a serrated knife.
cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours