Badam Thandai Ingredients:
Badam Thandai Recipe
- Almonds (Badam)- 50 gm
- Pista – 20 gm
- White pepper – 2 gm
- Cardamom (Ilaaichi) – 5
- Dried rose petals – 10
- Rose water – 2 tablespoons
- Sugar – 700 gm
- Sodium benzoate- one pinch
How to make Badam Thandai:
- Grind almonds, pista, white pepper, cardamom and rose petals in a mixer to make dry powder.
- Take 700 ml of water & 700 gm of sugar in a pan. Add grounded powder into it and heat till one fourth water evaporates.
- Filter the liquid 2-3 times.
- Dissolve saffron in rose water.
- Add saffron mixed rose water and sodium benzoate in already prepared filtered liquid. Churn it in mixer for 1-2 minutes.
- Now the Badam Thandai is ready. It can be stored in fridge for 1 year. Whenever required, add it in appropriate quantity in a glass of milk or plain water and Serve it (There is no need to add sugar).
- 1 1/2 litres water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp. almonds
- 1 tbsp. kharbooj/tarbooj seeds skinned (commercially available)
- (these are skinned dried seeds of watermelon and cantaloupes)
- 1/2 tbsp. khuskhus (poppy seeds)
- 1/2 tbsp. saunf (aniseed)
- 1/2 tsp. cardamom powder or 15 whole pods
- 1/2 tsp. rose water (optional)
- 1 tsp. peppercorns whole
- 1/4 cup dried or fresh rose petals (gulkand variety)
How to make Thandai:
- Soak sugar in 1/2 litre of the water used. Keep aside.
- Wash clean all other dry ingredients, except cardamom if using powder.
- Soak in 2 cups of remaining water. Keep aside.
- Allow all soaked items to stand for at least 2 hours.
- Grind all soaked ingredients to a very fine paste. (not sugar)
- Use a stone grinder (manual or electric) if possible.
- When the paste is very fine, mix remaining water.
- Place a strong muslin strainer over a large deep vessel.
- Press through muslin with back of palms, extracting the liquid into vessel.
- Add remaining water, a little at a time to extract more.
- Pour back some of the extract and press, repress.
- Repeat this process till the residue becomes dry and husk like.
- Add milk, sugar and rosewater to the extracted liquid.
- If using cardamom powder mix it in with the milk.
- Mix well. Chill for a hour of two before serving.
- Making time: 45 minutes
- Makes: 8 glasses (approx.)