- 2 cups daal channa (gram lentils)
- 6 cups water
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 2 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1\4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1\4 cup oil
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
- 2 whole dried red chilies, crushed
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 3 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- 3 green chilies
- salt to taste
- Pick over the lentil thoroughly and wash in several changes of water.
- Soak the lentil in plenty of water for 3-4 hours.
- Put the drained lentil in a heavy medium skillet; add water, garlic and ginger paste, chili powder, turmeric, coriander powder and salt.
- Place the skillet over high heat and bring the lentil to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until lentil is tender and slightly mushy, about 25-30 minutes.
- Transfer lentil to a serving dish and cover with the lid to keep the lentil hot.
- Heat oil in a small frying pan, add sliced onions and stirring frequently saute until the onions turn golden.
- Add cumin seeds, as soon as the cumin seeds splutter, add crushed dry red chilies and at once pour it over the lentil.
- Sprinkle garam masala and replace the cover on the serving dish 3-4 minutes to infuse the aroma.
- Sprinkle dal with coriander leaves and chopped green chilies.
- Serve hot with chapati.