Swiss Roll Ingredients:
- 75g/3 oz caster (superfine) sugar
- 75g/3 oz self-raising (self-rising) flour
- Caster (superfine) sugar for dusting
- 75 ml/5 tbsp raspberry jam (conserve)
How to make Swiss Roll
- Whisk together the eggs and sugar for about 10 minutes until very pale and thick and the mixture trails off the whisk in ribbons. Fold in the flour and spoon into a greased and lined 30 x 20 cm/12 x 8 in Swiss roll tin (jelly roll pan). Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C/400°F/gas mark 4 for 10 minutes until well risen and firm to the touch. Sprinkle a clean tea towel (dish cloth) with caster sugar and invert the cake on to the towel. Remove the lining paper, trim the edges and run a knife about 2.5 cm/1 in in from the short edge, cutting half-way through the cake. Roll up the cake from the cut edge. Leave to cool.
- Unwrap the cake and spread with jam, then roll up again and serve sprinkled with icing sugar.
Swiss Roll is ready to serve.
Makes one 20 cm / 8 in roll