Chocolate Swiss Roll Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup cream
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar (plus extra to dust)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
How to make Chocolate Swiss Roll
- Preheat oven to moderately hot (200c). Lightly grease a swiss roll tin (12 x 10inch)& line the base with baking paper, extending the edges over the two long sides.
- Beat the eggs & 1/3 cup of the caster sugar with electric beaters until thick & creamy.
- Using a metal spoon, gently fold in the combined sifted flour & cocoa.
- Spread the mixture into the tin & smooth the surface.
- Bake for 10 -12 mins, or until the cake is just set.
- Meanwhile, place a clean tea towel on a work surface, cover with baking paper & sprinkle with the remaining caster sugar.
- When the cake is cooked, turn it out immediately onto the sugar. Roll the cake up from the short side – rolling the paper inside the cake.
- Stand the rolled cake on a wire rack for 5 mins, then carefully unroll & allow the cake to cool to room temperature.
- Beat the cream, icing sugar & vanilla essence until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the cream over the cake, leaving a 1/2 inch border all the way around.
- Re-roll the cake (without the paper). Place the cake seam-side down onto serving tray.
- Refrigerate until serving – dust with extra icing sugar before serving.
- Cut into slices to serve.
Chocolate Swiss Roll is ready to serve.
Prep Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 35 mins