Recipes for Sponge
Eggless Chocolate Sponge Cake Ingredients
1/2 tin condensed milk (200gms)
- 2 3/4 cups plain flour (240gms)
- 40 gm cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (soda bicarb)
- 2 tsp icing sugar
- 1/2 cup butter melted (60gms)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 100 ml milk
- 100 ml Coke or Thums Up
How to make Eggless Chocolate Sponge Cake
- Sieve flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, cocoa all together 2 to 3 times.
- Keep aside.
- Pour condensed milk in a bowl. Add the butter, and beat well till smooth. Add the flour spoon by spoon, mixing into the condensed milk mixture. In between, add milk as required if the butter begins to get too stiff. [Stir the mixture in one direction only all the while. This will
- incorporate more air and make the cake lighter].
- Once all the flour is used up, beat the batter as above till light (5-7 minutes). Add the coke or Thums Up and mix gently till smooth.
- Pour into a greased cake tin. Do not smooth with a spoon etc. If the consistency is right this will not be needed.
- Pre-heat over to 300o c. Place tin inside. Bake at 200o c for 5-7 minutes and 150o c till done. (35 to 40 minutes).
- Poke with a skewer and check. Cool a little. Invert on wire rack. Cool completely before doing icing if any. Or serve warm with tea.
Eggless Chocolate Sponge Cake is ready to serve.
Eggless Sponge Cake Ingredients:
200 g sweetened condensed milk
- 140 g self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 60 ml melted butter or 60 ml margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 75 ml water
How to make Eggless Sponge Cake
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and baking soda together.
- Mix the flour mixture, condensed milk, melted butter, essence, and water and beat well.
- Pour the mixture into a greased and dusted 6 inch diameter round tin.
- Bake in a hot oven at 200 degrees C (400 degrees F) for 10 minutes.
- Then reduce the temperature to 150 degrees C (300 degree F) and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- The cake is ready when it leaves the sides of the tin and is springy to touch.
- When ready, take out from the oven and leave for 1 minute.
- Invert the tin over a rack and tap sharply to remove.
- Cool the the cake on a wire rack.
Eggless Sponge Cake is ready to serve.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
Simple Sponge Cake Ingredients
- 1/2 cup castor sugar or superfine sugar
- 2/3 cup self-rising flour
How to make Simple Sponge Cake
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease an 8 or 9 inch round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, whip together the eggs and castor sugar until fluffy. Fold in flour. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top of the cake springs back when lightly pressed. Cool in the pan over a wire rack.
Simple Sponge Cake is ready to serve.
Prep Time:5 Min
Cook Time:20 Min
Ready In:25 Min
Sponge Cake Ingredients
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g self raising flour
- Vanilla essence
- Pinch of salt
- 2 medium eggs
How to make Sponge cake
- Preheat oven to Gas mark 190°C.
- Place the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl. Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Beat the eggs in basin or cup and add to the mixture a little at the time, with the flour keeping the same smooth and creamy consistency.
- Making sure the mixtures does not get too wet or dry as you go when you have used all the flour and the eggs.
- Add the vanilla essence and a pinch of salt, mix for a few minutes.
- Divide into two lined, or non-stick sponge tins, put into a moderately hot oven, middle shelf.
- Put into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes (it is important that the oven is well heated).
- Put to cool on a rack to cool.
- When cool put one upside down on a plate spread with jam, you can also put fresh cream in at this stage, put the other piece on the top and dust with icing sugar.
Sponge Cake is ready to serve.
Chocolate Sponge Cake Ingredients
175g (6oz) butter, at room temperature
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour
- 50g (2oz) cocoa powder
- 1tsp baking powder
- ½tsp vanilla extract
For a cream and fruit filling:
- 125ml whipping cream
- 175g raspberries or strawberries
For quick chocolate icing:
- 200g (8oz) icing sugar
- 50g (2oz) cocoa powder
- 200g (8oz) butter
- 1tbsp milk
- 1tsp vanilla extract
How to make Chocolate Sponge Cake
- Grease a 20cm (8in) cake tin and line with greaseproof paper. Top tip: Watch our how to line a round cake tin video
- Preheat oven to 170°C (325°F, gas mark 3).
- Cream the sugar and butter into a large bowl, beat until light and pale. Add the eggs one at a time and continue to beat until you leave a trail on the surface when the whisk is lifted (with an electric mixer, about 5 mins).
- Sift the flour. Gently fold half the flour into the mixture. When it is well combined, fold in the other half of the flour along with the cocoa powder and baking powder. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Turn the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake the chocolate sponge cake for about 30-35 mins or until a cake skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Turn out onto a wire rack and remove the greaseproof paper.
- Turn the chocolate sponge cake upside down so the top becomes the bottom. Slice it horizontally and fill with whipped cream and fruit – raspberries or strawberries work well. You can decorate the top with more fruit.
- Or, for die hard chocoholics, make our quick, chocolate icing. Use an electric whisk to beat together all the ingredients until you have a smooth, light icing. Use half of it in the middle of the chocolate sponge cake and the other half on top. Decorate with raspberries if you fancy.
Chocolate Sponge Cake is ready to serve.
Prep time: 30 mins
(including cooling time)
Cooking time: 30 mins
(may need 5 mins extra)
Total time: 1 hr