Recipes for side dish
Pickled Beets Ingredients
10 pounds fresh small beets, stems removed
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon pickling salt
- 1 quart white vinegar
- 1/4 cup whole cloves
How to make Pickled Beets
- Place beets in a large stockpot with water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until tender, about 15 minutes depending on the size of the beets. If beets are large, cut them into quarters. Drain, reserving 2 cups of the beet water, cool and peel.
- Sterilize jars and lids by immersing in boiling water for at least 10 minutes. Fill each jar with beets and add several whole cloves to each jar.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, beet water, vinegar, and pickling salt. Bring to a rapid boil. Pour the hot brine over the beets in the jars, and seal lids.
- Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then carefully lower the jars into the pot using a holder. Leave a 2 inch space between the jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary until the water level is at least 1 inch above the tops of the jars. Bring the water to a full boil, cover the pot, and process for 10 minutes.
- Pickled Beets is ready to serve.
Bread and Butter Pickles II Ingredients
25 cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 6 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup salt
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 5 cups white sugar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
How to make Bread and Butter Pickles II
- In a large bowl, mix together cucumbers, onions, green bell peppers, garlic and salt. Allow to stand approximately 3 hours.
- In a large saucepan, mix the cider vinegar, white sugar, mustard seed, celery seed, whole cloves and turmeric. Bring to a boil.
- Drain liquid from the cucumber mixture. Stir the mixture into the boiling vinegar mixture. Remove from heat shortly before the combined mixtures return to boil.
- Transfer to sterile containers. Seal and chill in the refrigerator until serving.
- Bread and Butter Pickles II is ready to serve.
Prep Time:1 Hr
Cook Time:30 Min
Ready In:4 Hrs 30 Min
Olive Balls Ingredients
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup Original Bisquick® mix
- 1 jar (5 ounces) pimiento-stuffed olives
How to make Olive Balls
- Heat oven to 400ºF.
- Stir together cheese, butter and Worcestershire sauce; stir in Bisquick mix until dough forms (work with hands if necessary). Pat olives completely dry on paper towel. Shape 1 teaspoon dough around each olive. Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake about 10 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Olive Balls is ready to serve.
Total Time: 45 Min
Three Olive Spread Ingredients
1 cup pitted black olives
- 1 cup pitted green olives
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
How to make Three Olive Spread
- Combine the black olives, green olives, kalamata olives, and garlic in the container of a food processor. Pulse to chop, then add balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Process until smooth. Refrigerate for at least one hour, or overnight if possible, before serving.
- Three Olive Spread is ready to serve.
Prep Time:15 Min
Ready In:1 Hr 15 Min
Cheddar and Olive Balls Ingredients
18 1/2 ounces extra sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 45 pitted green olives
How to make Cheddar and Olive Balls
- Allow cheese to sit out until it is at room temperature. In a large bowl, mix together the cheese, butter and paprika using a pastry blender. Gradually mix in flour, first using the pastry blender, then using your hands. Mix until the dough pulls together. It should form a solid ball with a smooth appearance, but have a crumbly texture when pulled apart. If dough appears too dry, add more shredded cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Pinch off a small piece of dough, and cover an olive with it. Roll gently between your palms to smooth and seal the olive inside the ball. Place onto an ungreased cookie sheet and repeat with remaining dough and olives. Place the tray of covered olives into the refrigerator for 10 minutes to firm up.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until browned. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Cheddar and Olive Balls Recipe is ready to serve.
Prep Time:40 Min
Cook Time:30 Min
Ready In:1 Hr 10 Min
Olive Cheese Melts Ingredients
1 cup black olives, chopped
- 1/3 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 English muffins, split in half
How to make Olive Cheese Melts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine olives, green onions, Cheddar cheese, curry powder, mayonnaise, and salt. Mix well.
- Spread mixture on English muffins. Cut the English muffins into fourths. Note: If you want to freeze these, now is the time! Arrange the muffin pieces on a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 10 minutes.
- Olive Cheese Melts Recipe is ready to serve.
Prep Time:5 Min
Cook Time:10 Min
Ready In:15 Min
Strawberry Fruit Dip Ingredients
1 (8 ounce) package strawberry-flavored cream cheese
- 1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow creme
How to make Strawberry Fruit Dip
- In a medium bowl, mix the strawberry-flavored cream cheese and marshmallow creme until well blended. Chill in the refrigerator approximately 1 hour before serving.
- Strawberry Fruit Dip Recipe is ready to serve.
Classic Texas Caviar Ingredients
2 (15.8 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 fresh medium jalapenos, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 1 small onion, cut into small dice
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut into small dice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil (not extra virgin)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
How to make Classic Texas Caviar
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl; cover and refrigerate 2 hours or up to 2 days. Before serving, adjust seasonings to taste, adding extra vinegar, salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Classic Texas Caviar Recipe is ready to serve.
Texas Caviar I Ingredients
1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle zesty Italian dressing
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 bunch chopped fresh cilantro
How to make Texas Caviar I
- In a large bowl, mix together onion, green bell pepper, green onions, jalapeno peppers, garlic, cherry tomatoes, zesty Italian dressing, black beans, black-eyed peas and coriander. Cover and chill in the refrigerator approximately 2 hours. Toss with desired amount of fresh cilantro to serve.
- Texas Caviar I Recipe is ready to serve.
Prep Time:15 Min
Ready In:1 Hr 15 Min
Fruit Dip I Ingredients
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 (7 ounce) jars marshmallow creme
How to make Fruit Dip I
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add marshmallow creme and blend the mixture until smooth.
- Fruit Dip I is ready to serve.