Recipes for side dish
Brie Cheese Appetizer Ingredients
1 (8 ounce) wheel Brie cheese
- 3 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 1/2 (17.5 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg white
How to make Brie Cheese Appetizer
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- Slice one wheel of Brie cheese in half so you have 2 circles of cheese. Spread apricot or peach preserves on (the cut side) half of one circle of brie. Make sandwich out of the two halves of Brie, so that the preserves are in the center of both halves. Wrap the entire wheel of Brie with one sheet of puffed pastry and flip the entire concoction onto the prepared cooking sheet so the seam is on bottom. Brush the puffed pastry with the egg white.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the pastry in golden brown. Serve immediately.
- Brie Cheese Appetizer is ready to serve.
Prep Time:10 Min
Cook Time:30 Min
Ready In:40 Min
Spanakopita II Ingredients
1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach – thawed, drained
and squeezed dry
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 (4 ounce) packages feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 (16 ounce) packages phyllo dough
- 3/4 pound butter, melted
How to make Spanakopita II
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Slowly cook and stir onions until softened. Mix in spinach, dill and flour. Cook approximately 10 minutes, or until most of the moisture has been absorbed. Remove from heat. Mix in feta cheese, eggs, salt and pepper.
- Separate one sheet of phyllo from the stack and evenly brush with a light coating of butter. Place another sheet of phyllo over the butter and press the two sheets together. Cut the layered phyllo dough into long strips about 3 inches wide. Keep the remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap to keep it from drying out.
- Lay out one strip of phyllo at a time on your work surface with one of the narrow ends close to you. Place a heaping tablespoon of filling 1 inch from the end closest to you. Fold the bottom right corner over the filling to the left edge to form a triangle. Fold the triangle up, bringing the point at the bottom left up to rest along the left edge. Turn the lower left corner over to touch the right edge. Continue turning the triangle over in this manner until you reach the end of the phyllo. Repeat with the remaining filling and phyllo dough.
- Place filled phyllo dough triangles on a large baking sheet and brush with the remaining butter. Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown.
- Spanakopita II is ready to serve.
Total Time :45 minutes to 1 hour.
Broccoli Chicken Roli Ingredients
2 cups chopped, cooked chicken meat
- 2 cups fresh chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-style prepared mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (8 ounce) package refrigerated crescent rolls
How to make Broccoli Chicken Roli
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, broccoli, onions, bell pepper, cheese, mayonnaise, mustard, salt, pepper and garlic. Mix all together.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Place a glass upside down in the center of the cookie sheet. Roll out crescent rolls around the base of the glass, with pointy ends away from the glass; when you’re finished, the arrangement will look like the sun. Spoon some of the chicken mixture onto the thick part of each crescent roll. Fold the pointy end of each roll over the top of the mixture and tuck in the middle. Remove glass from cookie sheet. Arrangement of rolls will now look like a fluted tube cake.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until rolls are golden brown.
- Broccoli Chicken Roli is ready to serve.
St Patrick’s Rubin Stack Ingredients
1 (10 ounce) package Pepperidge Farm® Puff Pastry Shells
- 12 slices thin-sliced corned beef or pastrami
- 3 thin slices Swiss cheese, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1/3 cup prepared sauerkraut, drained
- Thousand Island salad dressing (optional)
How to make St Patrick’s Rubin Stack
- Bake, cool and remove the “tops” of the pastry shells according to the package directions.
- Place 2 slices corned beef into each pastry shell. Top each with 1 teaspoon mustard, 1 tablespoon sauerkraut and 1 piece cheese folded in half.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve with the dressing, if desired.
- St Patrick’s Rubin Stack is ready to serve.
Prep Time:20 Min
Cook Time:10 Min
Ready In:30 Min
Buffalo Chicken Stromboli Ingredients
2 cups cubed or shredded cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 3 tablespoons Frank’s® RedHot® Sauce
- 1/2 (17.3 ounce) package Pepperidge Farm® Puff Pastry Sheets, thawed
How to make Buffalo Chicken Stromboli
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Stir the chicken, cheese and hot sauce in a medium bowl.
- Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Roll the pastry sheet into a 10×14-inch rectangle.
- With the short side facing you, spoon the chicken mixture down the center of the pastry. Fold 2 opposite sides of the pastry to the center over the filling and press to seal. Place the pastry, seam-side down, onto a baking sheet. Tuck the ends under to seal.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Cut the pastry in quarters to serve.
- Buffalo Chicken Stromboli is ready to serve.
Prep Time:15 Min
Cook Time:30 Min
Ready In:1 Hr 25 Min
Rarebit Savories Ingredients
8 slices bacon
- 1/2 pound aged Cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1 onion, cut into chunks
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 60 slices sandwich bread, cut into rounds
How to make Rarebit Savories
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
- Place the bacon, Cheddar cheese, onion, mayonnaise, and mustard into the bowl of a food processor; process until well blended. Scoop into a container, cover, and refrigerate several hours to overnight to allow the flavors to blend.
- Adjust oven rack to the topmost position, and set oven to Broil.
- Spread the bread rounds evenly with cheese mixture and place onto a cookie sheet. Toast under the broiler until browned and puffed, 5 to 8 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Rarebit Savories is ready to serve.
Prep Time:15 Min
Cook Time:15 Min
Ready In:2 Hrs 30 Min
Chocolate Berry Cheesecake Ingredients
100g melted butter
- 250g sweet plain chocolate biscuits
- 425g can Wattie’s Boysenberries in Syrup
- 500g pottle Tararua Cheesecake Filling
- 2 tsp gelatin
How to make Chocolate Berry Cheesecake
- Crush the biscuits in a food processor or by placing in a sealed plastic bag and crushing with a rolling pin. Stir in the melted butter. Press into the base and sides of a 23cm loose bottom flan tin. Refrigerate until required.
- Drain and reserve the juice from the Wattie’s Boysenberries in Syrup .
- Beat together the drained boysenberries and Tararua Cheesecake Filling until smooth. Spread into the prepared flan.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the reserved boysenberry juice and when it has been absorbed, warm in the microwave for 2 minutes on high and stir until dissolved. Cool. Pour over the cheesecake filling and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
- Chocolate Berry Cheesecake is ready to serve.
Chicken Curry Puffs Ingredients
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, or more as needed
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 1 stalk lemon grass, thinly sliced
- 1 red chile pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 large russet potato, diced
- 3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (17.25 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
How to make Chicken Curry Puffs
- Heat vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in coriander, turmeric, cumin, and curry powder. Cook a few seconds until fragrant. Pour in coconut milk, onions, lemon grass, and red pepper; cook until the vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes. Stir in potato and continue cooking for 12 minutes, adding more coconut milk if the mixture becomes too dry. Stir in the chicken, then season with salt. Cook and stir until chicken and potato has absorbed most of the liquid, then spread mixture on a plate to cool.
- Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Unfold puff pastry and cut each sheet into 9 squares. Place heaping spoonfuls of the filling in the center of each square. Gather all 4 corners of the pastry and pinch together at the top, forming a small pouch. Place each pastry on the baking sheet, about 1 inch apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, 22 to 27 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing to cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Chicken Curry Puffs is ready to serve.
Prep Time:30 Min
Cook Time:50 Min
Ready In:1 Hr 45 Min
Roasted Pepper Tart Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 medium red sweet peppers, halved and seeded
- 2 medium green bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 (2.25 ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
How to make Roasted Pepper Tart
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Broil peppers 4 in. from the heat until skins are blistered and blackened, about 10 minutes. Immediately place peppers in a bowl; cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin. Coarsely chop peppers; place in a bowl. Add oil, garlic and oregano; toss to coat. Set aside.
- Roll out dough to fit a 12-in. pizza pan. Transfer to pan. Prick dough thoroughly with a fork. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned and crust begins pulling away from edges of pan. Cool completely.
- Sprinkle 1 cup cheese over crust. Sprinkle with pepper mixture and remaining cheese. Arrange olives around edge. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
- Roasted Pepper Tart is ready to serve.
Prep Time:20 Min
Cook Time:40 Min
Ready In:1 Hr
Chilean Style Sopaipillas Ingredients:
1 small sugar pumpkin (for baking)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, or grated chancaca
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 small orange
How to make Chilean Style Sopaipillas
- Preheat oven to 375 degress. Slice the pumpkin in half, and remove seeds (reserve if desired) and stringy parts. Rub a baking pan with the oil and place the pumpkin halves cut side down in the pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until pumpkin is soft and can be pierced with a fork. (The seeds make a great snack, and you can roast them simultaneously wiht the pumpkin. Wash and dry the seeds and toss them in the baking pan with the pumpkin. Check frequently and remove seeds when golden brown, as seeds will roast more quickly. Toss seeds with salt and store in an airtight container.)
- Scrape pumpkin out of shell and press through a food mill or potato ricer. You will need 1 cup of packed pumpkin.
- Make the syrup: heat 1 cup brown sugar with 1 cup water, the cinnamon sticks and the cloves. Quarter the orange and add to the sugar mixture. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain and keep warm.
- Stir the flour, baking powder, baking soda, 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar and salt in a bowl. Add the melted butter and pumpkin and mix. Add water gradually, 1-2 tablespoons at a time, until smooth dough forms. Knead dough gently until homogenous.
- Roll out dough on floured surface to about 1/2 centimeter thickness. Let dough relax for about 5 minutes, then cut with a 4-inch diameter round cutter. Prick rounds with a fork several times
- Heat several inches of oil in a deep skillet or deep fat fryer to 350 degrees. Fry sopaipillas in batches, turning once, until golden brown. Drain briefly on paper towels, then dip each sopaipilla in the warm syrup.
- Serve sopaipillas warm, with extra syrup on the side.
- Chilean Style Sopaipillas is ready to serve.
Prep Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 35 minutes