Vegetarian Wonton Ingredients:
1 package wonton skins (about 30 – 35)
- Hoisin sauce, for dipping
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/4 cup carrots, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/4 cup bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons mashed bean curd
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 – 3 tablespoons oil for stir-frying
- 2 cups peanut oil for deep-frying
How to make Vegetarian Wonton
- For the filling, heat a wok or large frying pan and add the oil. When moderately hot, add the carrots, cabbage, bean sprouts, and garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute. Set aside to cool thoroughly.
- Combine the cooled vegetables with the rest of the filling ingredients and mix well. Using a teaspoon, put a small amount of filling in the center of each wonton skin. Bring up 2 opposite corners, dampen the edges with a little water, and pinch them together to make a triangle. Fold over the bottom 2 corners so they overlap, and press together. The filling should be well sealed in.
- Heat the oil in a deep fat fryer or large wok until hot. Deep-fry the filled wontons in several batches. Drain on paper towel. Serve at once with hoisin sauce.
Vegetarian Wonton is ready to serve.
Makes 30 – 35 wontons