Recipes for sauce
Cowboy Steak with Chimichurri Sauce INGREDIENTS
- 1 2-lb “Cowboy Steak” (frenched beef rib steak)
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley, trimmed of thick stems
- 4-6 garlic cloves
- 3 Tbsps fresh oregano leaves
- 3 Tbsp red or white wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
How to make Cowboy Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
- Prepare the chimichurri sauce/marinade. Finely chop the parsley, garlic and oregano (can do with a food processor), place in a small bowl. Stir in the vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Set aside two thirds of the sauce for serving with the steak (cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature).
- The remaining third of the sauce will be for the marinade.
- Place steak in a bowl or large ziplock bag. Take about a third of the prepared chimichurri sauce and coat the steak for a marinade.
- Cover completely with plastic wrap or remove air from ziplock bag and secure close.
- Let steak marinate for several hours. Remove steak from refrigerator 2 hours before cooking so that it gets close to room temperature before cooking. Right before cooking, wipe off marinade from steak and sprinkle steak generously with salt and pepper.
- Grilling Instructions Prepare grill so that one side has high, direct heat and another side has indirect heat.
- Brush grill grates with vegetable oil. Place steak first on the side of the grill with high, direct heat, so that it sears.
- Grill for a minute or two on each side, enough to brown the meat. Then transfer the steak to the indirect heat side of the grill.
- Cover the grill, try to maintain a grill temperature of 350°F. Cook for 5-10 minutes (or more) until the steak is cooked to your desired level of doneness. You can use the finger test to check for doneness, or a meat thermometer.
- For rare, pull the meat off the gril at an internal temp of 120°F. For medium rare, 125-130°F. Remove the meat to a plate and cover with aluminum foil. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Stovetop/Oven Instructions Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat a large cast iron skillet on medium high to high heat.
- Hold the steak fat-side down to render a little of the fat into the pan. Then sear each side until nicely browned, about a minute or two each.
- Transfer the steak (if using cast iron pan, can place the whole pan in the oven) to the oven to finish to desired doneness, anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes, depending on the thickness and size of the steak and how well done you like it.
- You can use the finger test to check for doneness, or a meat thermometer. For rare, pull the meat out of the oven at an internal temp of 120°F. For medium rare, 125-130°F. Remove the meat to a plate and cover with aluminum foil. Let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Serve steak with remaining chimichurri sauce.
- Cowboy Steak with Chimichurri Sauce recipe is ready to serve.
Parsley sauce recipe for Fish Ingredients:
- 2 150g Fish steaks or fillets
- 3 tbsp Chopped parsley
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Celery salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp flour
- 250ml Milk
- 2 tsp Butter
How to make Parsley sauce recipe for Fish:
- Clean the fish steaks, and set to steam for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Melt the butter over a low heat in a saucepan. Add the parsley stir and remove from the heat.
- Add the flour to the parsley and mix thoroughly, until a big ball is formed.
- Add a small amount of the milk, and stir thoroughly. Continue adding the milk in small amounts and stirring thoroughly until most of the milk has been added.
- Warm the sauce over a low heat, stirring constantly. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes, still constantly stirring.
- Add the seasonings to the sauce to taste, along with the lemon juice. Add the rest of the milk, or as much as is needed to make the sauce the required thickness.
- Ensure that the fish is thoroughly cooked, and serve with the sauce poured over the top of the fish.
Szechuan Peanut Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons grated gingerroot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Asian chili sauce or 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (lemon at a pinch ? use a little less)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb noodles, of your choice
- finely chopped scallion
- chopped roasted unsalted peanuts
How to make Szechuan Peanut Sauce:
- Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth.
- Transfer to a jar with a tight-fitting lid (keeps 1 week, chilled; or distribute among 3 small containers and freeze what you don’t want to use within a week).
- To use: Boil 1 lb Asian noodles or spaghetti until al dente.
- Toss with ¾ cup of sauce (or more to taste), finely chopped scallions and chopped peanuts.
- Note: In the winter, I eat these noodles hot.
- In summer I rinse under cold water, cool and drain and serve them as a spicy noodle salad, often adding shredded bok choy, carrots, snowpeas, lots more of the peanut sauce, etc.
Cardamom Sauce Ingredients:
- 9 (1-ounce) slices white bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup evaporated fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon rose-flower water (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped pistachios
How to make Cardamom Sauce:
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To prepare pudding, trim crusts from bread. Arrange bread slices in a single layer on a baking sheet; brush with melted butter. Bake at 400° for 8 minutes or until toasted.
- Remove bread from oven; cool 5 minutes on a wire rack. Cut each slice into 4 squares. Arrange squares in overlapping rows in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Combine evaporated milk, 3 tablespoons sugar, and rose-flower water, if desired, stirring well with a whisk. Pour mixture evenly over bread. Cover with foil; chill 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake pudding, covered, at 350° for 15 minutes.
- To prepare sauce, combine 2 tablespoons sugar and egg yolks in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Heat whole milk in a small, heavy saucepan over medium heat to 180° or until tiny bubbles form around the edge (do not boil). Gradually add hot whole milk to egg yolk mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Place milk mixture in pan; cook over low heat 6 minutes or until mixture coats the back of a spoon, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat; stir in cardamom.
- Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl for 5 minutes or until sauce cools to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Arrange 6 warm bread pudding squares on each of 6 dessert plates. Top each serving with about 2 1/2 tablespoons sauce and 1/2 teaspoon pistachios.
Shish Taouk Garlic Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 kg chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon garlic sauce, Toum see below
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 lemon, juice of
Toum (Garlic Sauce)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 250 ml vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, juice of, to taste
How to make Shish Taouk Garlic Sauce:
- Cut the chicken breasts into 2 cms pieces and place in a bowl. Add the olive oil, tomato puree, garlic 1 tablespoon Toum (garlic sauce – see below recipe), salt, pepper and lemon juice. Mix well to coat the chicken and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour or overnight.Tread the chicken pieces on to skewers and grill for about 10 minutes on the barbecue or under a preheated grill. Turning from time to time.Serve with Toum (garlic sauce) for dipping and a salad.
- Toum (Garlic Sauce) – Put the garlic clove and salt in a blender or food-processor and whiz to a smooth puree. Add the egg white and whiz again until smooth. Very slowly pour in the vegetable oil in a constant, steady stream until all the oil is used up and the sauce is the consistency and color of mayonnaise. Add the lemon juice and keep whizzing until smooth. Taste and add more lemon if necessary.
Chicken with Mango Sauce Ingredients:
- 2-3 chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch-long pieces (chicken thigh works too)
- 1 red bell pepper, OR 1 sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup oil for pan-frying
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or rice flour) mixed with 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh coriander
- Optional: extra 1/2 to 1 mango, cut into chunks (to finish the dish)
- Optional: 3-4 Tbsp. coconut milk OR water
- MANGO SAUCE:
- 2 fresh ripe mangos, fruit scooped out (or substitute 2 cups frozen or canned mango)
- 1 red chili, de-seeded and diced, OR 1 tsp. chili sauce OR 1/2 tsp. dried crushed chili
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar (OR white or apple cider)
- 1+1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp. fish sauce
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 thumb-size piece galangal OR ginger, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, snipped into slivers with scissors (discard stem & central vein), OR zest of 1 lime
How to make Chicken with Mango Sauce:
- Place all ‘Mango Sauce’ ingredients in a food processor or blender. Process well, until more or less smooth.
- Taste-test the sauce. The goal is to reach a balance of sweet, sour, spicy, and salty. Add more sugar if you find the sauce too sour (this will depend on the sweetness of your mangoes). If not spicy enough, add more chili. If not salty enough, add more fish sauce. If too salty or too sweet, add more lime juice. Set aside.
- Stir the flour and salt together and place in a mixing-type bowl. Add the chicken pieces and turn or gently stir them to coat.
- Heat a wok or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil, then begin frying the chicken pieces. Fry 3-5 minutes per side, or until light golden brown and cooked through. Remove chicken from pan and set on paper towel, or a clean surface.
- Wash out the wok/frying pan, or use another (clean) one. Set over medium-high heat and add the mango sauce plus red pepper. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce to a simmer (medium to low heat). If sauce becomes too thick, add 3-4 Tbsp. water or coconut milk. Simmer 3-4 minutes, or until pepper has softened slightly but still retains some crispness.
- Add the fried chicken pieces, gently stirring them in to cover with sauce. If desired, add chunks of mango (fruit of 1/2 to 1 ripe mango) too. Simmer briefly, just until everything is hot.
- Do a final taste-test for salt (tasting the sauce together with the chicken). Add a little more fish sauce or chili if desired.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle with fresh coriander and serve with plenty of Thai jasmine-scented rice. Or, for an extra special treat, with my Easy Coconut Rice.
Chinese Chicken Black Pepper Sauce Ingredients:
- 200 gm chicken cut into 1″ pieces
- Greens of 1 spring onion cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1/2 tsp peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2-1 tsp soya sauce
- Pinch of ajinomoto
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 1/2 cups water mixed with 1 chicken seasoning cube or 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ajinomoto
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp oil
How to make Chicken In Black Pepper Sauce:
- Cut chicken into 1″ pieces.
- Marinate the chicken in all the ingredients of the marinade and keep aside for atleast 1/2 hour.
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in a wok or a kadhai and stir fry the chicken for 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
- Drain and keep aside.
- For the sauce, heat 2 tbsp oil.
- Reduce heat, add ginger, garlic and peppercorns.
- Cook till garlic changes colour.
- Add black pepper, soya sauce, ajinomoto, vinegar and chicken.
- Add water mixed with cube or chicken stock.
- Cook till chicken turns tender.
- Add enough water (1/2 cup approx.) mixed with cornflour.
- Cook stirring till it turns to a thick saucy consistency.
- Add vinegar & greens of spring onion.
- Remove from fire.
Chicken In Cream Sauce Ingredients:
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 4-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cup pearl onions, peeled
- 1 cup white mushrooms, cleaned with bottoms trimmed
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 cups crème fraiche
How to make Chicken In Cream Sauce:
- Season the chicken with the salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven over high heat, sauté the chicken in the butter, turning once, until it is brown. The process will take about 3-4 minutes for each side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Turn the heat to medium and sauté the onions for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, shallots, and sugar to the pan. Sauté the mixture for 6-8 minutes, until the shallots turn soft and the mixture is caramelized. Transfer the vegetables to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Turn the heat to high, and deglaze the Dutch oven by bring the white wine to a simmer, scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken stock, browned chicken, and thyme to the wine, cover, and lower the heat to low-medium. Braise the chicken for 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium high, add the crème fraiche to the Dutch oven, and simmer, uncovered, for an additional 10 minutes. The dish is ready when the sauce has reduced and thickened and the chicken is cooked through. Serve it hot with the caramelized vegetable garnish.
- This chicken in cream sauce recipe makes 6-8 servings.
Peking Chicken Sauce Ingredients:
- One 3-pound chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash of white pepper
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 3 cups oil for deep-frying, or as needed
- 1/2 cup flour, or as needed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
How to make Peking Chicken Sauce:
- Remove the skin from the chicken. Cut the chicken into 8 equal pieces. Rub the salt and white pepper over the chicken pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, Chinese rice wine or sherry, 2 of the chopped green onions, minced ginger and sugar. Set aside half of the marinade to use later.
- Place the chicken pieces in a large resealable bag. Pour in the unreserved marinade. Seal and place in the refrigerator. Marinate for 4 to 6 hours, turning occasionally to make sure all of the chicken is covered.
- Heat oil for deep-frying to between 360 and 375 degrees Fahrenheit. While the oil is heating, drain the chicken pieces and discard the marinade used to marinate the chicken. Make sure the chicken pieces are quite dry.
- Dredge each of the chicken pieces in the flour.
- Deep-fry the chicken, a few pieces at a time, in the hot oil until they are golden brown and crispy. Remove from the wok with a slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons oil from the wok. Add the minced garlic and the reserved green onion and stir-fry until aromatic (about 30 seconds). Add the reserved marinade. Bring to a boil. Add the deep-fried chicken. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for about 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Serve immediately.
Stir Fry Chicken with Peanut Sauce Ingredients:
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 6 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 3 1/2 cups of your favorite vegetables, chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- Hot chile sauce (to taste)
- print a shopping list for this recipe
How to make Stir Fry Chicken with Peanut Sauce:
- Coat a nonstick pan with cooking spray; sauté chicken over medium-high heat until cooked through. Remove from pan. Add oil and sauté garlic and ginger until garlic is golden. Add vegetables; cook until tender. Return chicken to pan; stir-fry 3 minutes.
- For the sauce, whisk 1 1/2 tbsp hot (not boiling) tap water into peanut butter to blend. Add soy sauce, vinegar, and hot sauce and mix. Divide stir-fry and sauce onto 2 plates. Serve each over 3/4 cup brown rice.