Home / Tag Archives: salan
Hyderabadi Mirchi ka salan Ingredients:
- green thick mirch 8 (keep in salt water for half an hour and drain)
- onion two chopeed
- ginger one inch grated
- garlic three grated
- coriander powder one tsp
- turmeric powder one tsp
- salt to taste
- cumin seeds one tsp
- coconut grated two tbsp
- tamarind pulp dissolved in water one and half cup
How to make Hyderabadi Mirchi ka salan:
- heat oil in wok
- fry the drained hari mirch till they change colour, keep aside
- add cumin seeds, once they start spluttering add chopped onions followed by ginger and garlic
- add turmeric powder, coriander powder, grated coconut and salt keep frying now add the fried hari mirch further fry for two minutes
- add the tamarind pulp dissolved in water
- cover and cook for a minute or two
Mirchi ka Salan Ingredients:
- 8 or 10 medium sized green chillies (I used 4 big green chillies)
- 1 medium sized onion
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (white thil)
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes/desiccated coconut/copra
- 2 tsps coriander seeds (dhania)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 cup fresh yogurt
- 1 tsp sour cream
- 1 tsp tamarind paste/pulp (I use Laxmi brand natural tamarind concentrate)
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander for garnish
- Oil for making the curry
How to make Mirchi ka Salan:
- Dry roast the sesame seeds, peanuts, coriander seeds and cumin seeds – one at a time in a pan.
- Sauté the onion in 1 tsp of oil until transparent.
- Make a paste of the sesame seeds, peanuts, coriander and cumin seeds along with the sautéed onions and coconut.
- Slit the green chillies and sauté them in a little oil and set aside. You can remove the seeds from the chillies to reduce the heat. I used big green chillies, so I just chopped them into big pieces.
- Set the chillies aside and in the same pan add some oil and sauté the ground masala paste along with the ginger garlic paste and tamarind concentrate for about 3-4 minutes.
- Next add the yogurt, sour cream and salt and mix well till the yogurt is incorporated in the masala.
- Add water to reach the desired consistency. Make sure you boil the masala well after adding water.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
Balti Gosht Ingredients:
- 1 lb lamb, cut in pieces
- 23 tablespoon ghee OR oil
- 12 med.onions, chopped
- 12 teaspoon. garlic paste
- 2 teaspoon. chili powder
- 3 teaspoon. garam masala powder
- 1 tablespoon. vinegar
- 1 teaspoon. salt (more or less to your taste)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- Optional: coconut flakes,(to garnish)
How to make Balti Gosht
- In hot oil, fry onion until clear.
- Add garlic and chili powder, while stirring.
- Then add garam masala, vinegar, salt and chopped tomatoes. Keep stirring until the tomatoes have cooked down into the mixture.
- Add the lamb meat and enough water to either make the salan/curry thick or thin, which ever way you like it.
- Cook until meat is tender.
- Garnish with a few coconut flakes on top. Serve with naans.