Recipes for salad
Turkish Bean and Dill Salad
Spinach Salad Ingredients:
6 c. fresh spinach, torn in bite-size pieces
- ½ c. mandarin oranges
- 1 c. strawberries, sliced
- 4 oz. soy blue cheese crumbles
- ¼ c. cashews
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp. orange juice
- 1½ tbsp. canola oil
- ¼ tsp. dry mustard
- 1/3 tsp. poppy seeds
- knife (you’ll need help from your adult assistant)
How to make Spinach Salad
- Mix dressing ingredients and refrigerate.
- Mix the fruit and spinach together.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix well to coat evenly.
- Divide salad among 4 plates (about 2 cups each plate).
- Sprinkle cashews and soy blue cheese over the top of each salad plate.
Spinach Salad is ready to serve.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Smoked Chicken Salad Ingredients
1 smoked Chicken
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 crushed tomato
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 3 green onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- A pinch of chili
- A pinch of ginger
- Salt and pepper
- 100 ml (6 tbsp.) oil
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tbsp. mustard
How to make Smoked Chicken Salad
- Skin the chicken and cut the meat into small pieces.
- Crush the avocado in a salad bowl. Add the crushed tomato, green pepper and ginger, then the yellow pepper, chives and garlic. Combine well.
- Add the lime juice, mustard, oil, salt and pepper and whisk to emulsify. Fold in the chicken pieces and toss thoroughly. Arrange on a platter and serve cold.
Smoked Chicken Salad is ready to serve.
Total time: less than 15 minutes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Quick Pasta Salad Ingredients:
1 1/2 (8-ounce) packages tricolor pasta
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 pound imitation crabmeat or 1/2 pound grilled chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
How to make Quick Pasta Salad
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente. Rinse under cold water until cool and drain.
- Chop celery and crabmeat. Run hot water over peas to defrost.
- In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, milk, salt and pepper. Add pasta, celery, and crab or chicken, and stir until evenly coated. Adjust salt, sugar or mayonnaise to taste. Chill several hours before serving.
Quick Pasta Salad is ready to serve.
Roast Vegetable Salad Ingredients
750g (1/2 large) butternut pumpkin, peeled, cut into 3cm pieces (see card)
- 1kg sebago potatoes, scrubbed, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 brown onions, halved, cut into wedges
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 275g baby roma tomatoes, halved
- 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
How to make Roast Vegetable Salad
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place pumpkin, potatoes and onions on a large baking tray. Spray lightly with oil. Season with salt, pepper and thyme. Roast for 40 minutes.
- Add tomatoes to baking tray and roast for a further 20 minutes.
- Transfer roast vegetables to a large bowl. Add chickpeas. Whisk oil, 1/2 cup lemon juice, garlic and sugar in a jug until well combined. Pour over vegetables. Add parsley and toss gently to combine. Serve.
Roast Vegetable Salad is ready to serve.
Cooking Time 60 minutes
Prawns and Cannelini Bean Salad Ingredients
2 x 420g cans cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- 1kg cooked peeled prawns
- 2 ripe avocados, halved, stones removed, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh continental parsley leaves, coarsely torn
- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 80ml (1/3 cup) fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
How to make Prawns and Cannelini Bean Salad
- Combine the cannellini beans, prawns, avocado and parsley in a large serving bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until required.
- Whisk together the oil, lemon juice and garlic in a small bowl. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the salad with dressing and gently toss until just combined. Serve immediately.
Prawns and Cannelini Bean Salad is ready to serve.
Potato and Green Bean Salad Ingredients:
1 pound small new potatoes
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1 cup thinly sliced sweet onion rings
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into rings
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1/4 cup vegetable or olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- freshly ground black pepper
How to make Potato and Green Bean Salad
- Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan, cover with cold water, add a pinch of salt,
cover pan, and bring to a boil. Continue boiling until the potatoes are about 2/3
done, about 14 minutes. Add the green beans and boil until both beans and
potatoes are just cooked. Let cool until cool enough to handle.
- Cut the potatoes into 1-inch cubes, leaving their skins on; place in a large bowl. Cut the green beans into 1-inch lengths and add to the potatoes. Add the onion rings, green pepper, celery, and parsley. In a small bowl, combine well the oil, vinegar, and oregano. Salt and pepper to taste. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss gently but well. Serve at room temperature.
Potato and Green Bean Salad is ready to serve.
Carrot Salad Ingredients
3 cups julienned carrots
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup diced celery (optional)
- 2/3 cup creamy salad dressing
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
How to make Carrot Salad
- In a large bowl, toss together the carrots, pineapple, marshmallows, raisins and celery.
- Whisk together the salad dressing and sugar; pour over salad and toss. Chill for at least 12 hours.
- Carrot Salad is ready to serve.
Prep Time:30 Min
Ready In:12 Hrs 30 Min
Servings : 7
Cucumber Salad with Sour Cream Ingredients
3 medium cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 dash white pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
How to make Cucumber Salad with Sour Cream
- Sprinkle the cucumbers with salt. Let stand 15 minutes. Drain liquid. Add onions, vinegar and pepper. Just before serving, stir in sour cream.
- Cucumber Salad with Sour Cream is ready to serve.
Prep Time:30 Min
Ready In:30 Min
Servings : 6
Caesar Potato Salad Ingredients
1 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves shopping list
- 2 slices French bread shopping list
- 1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes shopping list
- 3 tbsp dry vermouth shopping list
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar shopping list
- 1 tbsp lemon juice shopping list
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard shopping list
- 2 tsp anchovy paste shopping list
- 1/4 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/8 tsp pepper shopping list
- 1/4 c. chopped green onions shopping list
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley shopping list
- romaine lettuce leaves (optional) shopping list
- 1/4 c. grated fresh parmesan cheese shopping list
How to make Caesar Potato Salad
- Combine oil and garlic; let stand 30 min.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Brush 1 1/2 tsp oil mixture over bread; cut into cubes. Place bread cubes in a
single layer on a jelly-roll pan. Bake at 350 for 9 minutes or until toasted.
- Steam potatoes, covered, 18 minutes or until tender. Let cool; cut into 1/4 inch
slices. Combine potato slices and vermouth; toss gently to coat.
- Combine remaining oil mixture, vinegar, and next 7 ingredients ( vinegar
through parsley) in a bowl. Pour dressing over potatoes; toss gently to coat.
Cover and chill.
- Serve in lettuce lined bowl, if desired. Sprinkle with cheese and croutons.
- Caesar Potato Salad is ready to serve.
10 minutes to make