Rummage Relish Ingredients
8 cups cored and chopped green tomatoes
- 4 cups peeled, cored and chopped red tomatoes
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped cucumber
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup salt
- 4 cups brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 quarts vinegar
How to make Rummage Relish
- In a large bowl, combine the green tomatoes, red tomatoes, cabbage, onion, cucumber, green pepper, and red pepper. Mix with the salt and let stand for 12 to 14 hours in a cool place, if not the refrigerator. Drain and rinse thoroughly.
- Prepare 8 pint jars with lids and rings by sterilizing and keeping hot. Set aside.
- In a large pot, combine the brown sugar, celery seed, cinnamon, mustard seed, ginger, garlic, cloves and vinegar. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add vegetables, and simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Bring vegetables to a boil from a simmer and ladle into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Secure lids and rings. Process in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate any jars that fail to seal properly.
- Rummage Relish is ready to serve.
Prep Time:30 Min
Cook Time:55 Min
Ready In:13 Hrs 25 Min