Recipes for roast
Roast Vegetable Salad Ingredients
750g (1/2 large) butternut pumpkin, peeled, cut into 3cm pieces (see card)
- 1kg sebago potatoes, scrubbed, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 brown onions, halved, cut into wedges
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 275g baby roma tomatoes, halved
- 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
How to make Roast Vegetable Salad
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place pumpkin, potatoes and onions on a large baking tray. Spray lightly with oil. Season with salt, pepper and thyme. Roast for 40 minutes.
- Add tomatoes to baking tray and roast for a further 20 minutes.
- Transfer roast vegetables to a large bowl. Add chickpeas. Whisk oil, 1/2 cup lemon juice, garlic and sugar in a jug until well combined. Pour over vegetables. Add parsley and toss gently to combine. Serve.
Roast Vegetable Salad is ready to serve.
Cooking Time 60 minutes
Chicken Masala Roast Ingredients
chicken – 1 about (1 kg)
- onions – 1 cup, sliced
- oil – ½ cup
- ginger – 2 cm
- grated coconut – 1 tbsp
- green chilies – 2
- coriander leaves – 2 tbsp, chopped
- pepper corns – ½ tsp
- cardamoms – 2
- cinnamon – 3 cm piece
- chili powder – ½ tsp
- curds – ½ cup
- salt to taste
How to make Chicken Masala Roast
- Clean the chicken, wash and wipe dry.
- Fry the onion slices in hot oil till brown and crisp. Drain and reserve.
- Grind all the ingredients from ginger to chili powder to a smooth paste.
Combine this paste with curds, salt and fried onions.
- Rub some of this mixture inside the chicken and pour the rest over it.
- Cover and marinate in frig over night.
- Place the chicken in a baking dish.
- Cook in a moderate oven,( 180 degrees C) brushing it at regular intervals with the oil in which onions were fried.
- When the top side is done, turn the chicken and cook the other side.
Serve hot with Roti and Dal.
- Chicken Masala Roast is ready to serve.
Beef Roast Ingredients
1 kg beef rump
- 6 to 8 cloves (laung / lavang)
- 2 pcs of cinnamon (dalchini)
- 8 to 12 whole dry kashmiri red chillies
- 1/2 tbsp peppercorns
- 8 to 12 cloves of garlic (lehsun), crushed
- 4 to 6 tbsp oil and few curry leaves (kadi patta)
For marinating beef
- 1 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic (adrak-lehsun) paste
- 2 to 3 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar
- 1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- salt to taste
For Beef Roast Garnishing
- 3 big sized onions, finely cut in rings and fried till brown and crisp
- 4 to 6 big sized potatoes par boiled, peeled, cut in 4 lengthwise and fried to a golden brown & crisp
How to make Beef Roast
- Wash the chunk of meat nicely- drain
- Then prick nicely having a fork throughout marinate with all the ingredients given under marination for atleast 2-3 hrs or higher night inside fridge.
- Following day, make pressure pan add oil when hot add the full spices (cloves, cinnamon, dry chillies, pepper corns, garlic pod, curry leaves) & fry on med.
- Heat till the cloves, peppercorns pop up & the garlic is brown
- Now put the marinated meat chunk & fry turning all this to seal the juices, fry to some light brown on all sides.
- Add ½ cup of water with the marination juices cover the cooker, put the stopper & leave to cook after the first whistle lower flame to min. & leave to cook for 20 mins.
- When done put off gas & leave the cooker to cool upon it’s own.
- Open the lid & put back about the gas & continue cooking till every one of the soup continues to be absorbed through the meat
- Remove from heat & allow the meat cool off somewhat
- Cut into thin slices & keep. inside same pressure cooker pan add a somewhat more oil
- To the whole spices still inside cooker
- When hot fry the meat slices on med.
- Heat to a light brown (don’t fry it a lot of then it’s going to become hard) & remove. arrange the meat slices in the center of a platter, & decorate the perimeters with fried potato wedges & fried onions.
- Serve with tomato ketchup.
- In order to make a sauce to pour on the roast slices when you get rid of the chunk of meat for slicing
- Strain the soup – & keep aside.
- Discard the spices.
- Position the pressure cooker pan back onto the gas on medium heat
- Add 2-3 tbsp of butter when the butter has melted add 2 tbsps of maida flour & fry till the flour turns a golden brown now add the soup + ¼ – ½ cup of water & go on stirring
- Remove any lumps if any
- Continue stirring for 2 mins on low flame or till the sauce thickens
- Remove & serve over sliced roasted beef together with your fried potatoes, onions & ketchup.
- In the event the sauce becomes too thick add ¼ cup water & stir till the thickness is achieved.
Roast sweet potato chilli chips Ingredients
2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
How to make Roast sweet potato chilli chips
- Blue Cheese and Chive Dip, recipe follows
- Peel sweet potatoes and discard skin. Using the vegetable peeler or a mandoline make long thin chips by peeling/slicing lengthwise from top to bottom. Place in a bowl of ice water and chill for 1 hour. Drain in a colander and layout on paper towels and pat dry.
- Combine chili powder, garlic powder, a pinch of cayenne, cumin and salt and pepper.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pot to 375 degrees F. Fry the potatoes in single layer batches for 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown. Lift chips out with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Season with the spice mixture and serve immediately. Serve as an appetizer with Blue Cheese and Chives dip.
- Roast sweet potato chilli chips Recipe is ready to serve.
Inactive Prep 1 hr 0 min
Cook 20 min
Total: 1 hr 35 min
Traditional Roast Beef Hash Ingredients
Cooked roast beef
- Raw potatoes, peeled and quartered
- Yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- Grapeseed oil or olive oil
- Salt and pepper
How to make Traditional Roast Beef Hash
- Take approximately equal proportions of beef, potatoes, and onions and put them through a meat grinder using a medium grinder attachment so that they are well mixed and ground.
- Heat a large frying pan, preferably a cast iron pan, on medium high to high heat. Add the hash to the frying pan so that a half an inch of hash covers the bottom of the pan. If you have more hash to cook, do so in separate batches. Add several tablespoons of oil. Brown the hash, stirring only infrequently at first to make sure that the hash has an opportunity to brown well.
- As you cook the hash, add pinches of salt and fresh ground pepper. Do this a couple of times with each batch of hash. Cook for at least 10 minutes and until the hash is well browned.
- Traditional Roast Beef Hash Recipe is ready to serve.
Roast Beef Recipe Ingredients
3 pounds beef eye of round roast
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
How to make Roast Beef
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). If roast is untied, tie at 3 inch intervals with cotton twine. Place roast in pan, and season with salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Add more or less seasonings to taste.
- Roast in oven for 60 minutes (20 minutes per pound). Remove from oven, cover loosely with foil, and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Roast Beef recipe is ready to serve.
Prep Time:5 Min
Cook Time:1 Hr
Ready In:1 Hr 5 Min
Prime Rib Roast Ingredients
One standing rib roast, 3 to 7 ribs (estimate serving 2 people per rib), bones cut away from the roast and tied back to the roast with kitchen string
- alt and freshly ground black pepper
How to make Prime Rib Roast
- Remove roast from the refrigerator, loosely wrapped, 3 hours before cooking. Roasts should always be brought close to room temperature first, before they go in the oven.
- Cookbooks often call for the excess fat to be removed. By “excess” fat they mean any fat more than an inch thick. The fat is what provides the flavor and what you are paying for with prime rib, so you want to leave it on. Your butcher should have removed any excess fat.
- If your butcher hasn’t already done so, cut the bones away from the roast and tie them back on to the roast with kitchen string. This will make it much easier to carve the roast, while still allowing you to stand the roast on the rib bones while cooking.
- Preheat your oven to 500°F, or the highest it will go (our oven only goes up to 450°F). Generously sprinkle salt and pepper all over the roast.
- Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the roast, making sure it doesn’t touch a bone. (Some meat thermometers require that you poke a hole first with a skewer, and then insert the thermometer.) Place the roast, fat side up, rib side down in a roasting pan in the oven.
- After 15 minutes on 500°F, reduce the heat to 325°F. To figure out the total cooking time, allow about 13-15 minutes per pound for rare and 15-17 minutes per pound for medium rare. The actual cooking time will depend on the shape of the roast and your particular oven. A flatter roast will cook more quickly than a thicker one. So make sure to use a meat thermometer. This is not a roast to “wing it”. Error on the rare side.
- Roast in oven until thermometer registers 115°-120°F for rare or 125°-130°F for medium.
- Check the temperature of the roast using a meat thermometer a half hour before you expect the roast to be done. For example, with a 10 pound roast, you would expect 2 1/2 hours of total cooking time (15 minutes at 500° and 2 1/4 hours at 325°). In this case, check after 2 hours of total cooking time, or 1 hour 45 minutes after you lowered the oven temp to 325°.
- Once the roast has reached the desired internal temperature, remove it from oven and let rest 20 minutes, covered with aluminum foil, before carving. The roast will continue to cook while it is resting.
- With a knife or scissors, cut the strings which attach the meat to the bones. Remove the bones (save for making stock for soup. Then, using a sharp carving knife, slice meat across the grain for serving, making the slices about 1/4-1/2 inch thick.
- To make the gravy, remove the roast from the pan. Place pan on stove on medium high heat. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings to a separate container. Into the 2 tablespoons of drippings in the pan stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons of flour. Stir with a wire whisk until the flour has thickened and the gravy is smooth. Continue to cook slowly and stir constantly. Slowly add back the previously removed drippings (remove some of the fat beforehand if there is a lot of fat). In addition add either water, milk, stock, cream or beer to the gravy, enough to make 1 cup. Season the gravy with salt and pepper and herbs.
- Prime Rib Roast recipe is ready to serve.
Pot Roast in Slow Cooker Ingredients
2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 5 1/2 pounds pot roast
How to make Pot Roast in Slow Cooker
- In a slow cooker, mix cream of mushroom soup, dry onion soup mix and water. Place pot roast in slow cooker and coat with soup mixture.
- Cook on High setting for 3 to 4 hours, or on Low setting for 8 to 9 hours.
- Pot Roast in Slow Cooker recipe is ready to serve.
Prep Time:10 Min
Cook Time:8 Hrs
Ready In:8 Hrs 10 Min
Pot Roast INGREDIENTS
3 1/2 lb of beef shoulder or boneless chuck roast
- 1 Tbsp olive or grapeseed oil
- Salt, pepper, italian seasoning to taste
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped or sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup of red wine
- Several carrots, peeled and cut lengthwise
How to make Pot Roast
- Use a thick-bottomed covered pot (oven-proof if you intend to cook in oven), such as a dutch oven, just large enough to hold roast and vegetables. Heat 1 Tbsp of oil on medium high heat (hot enough to sear the meat). Sprinkle and rub salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning all over the meat. Brown roast in pot, all over, several minutes on each side. Don’t move the roast while a side is browning, or it won’t brown well.
- When roast is browned, lift up the meat and add garlic and chopped onion to the bottom of the pan. Let the roast sit on top of the onions. Add 1/2 cup of red wine. Cover. Bring to simmer and then adjust the heat down to the lowest heat possible to maintain a low simmer when covered (we cook our roast on the warm setting of our electric range)*. Alternatively, you can cook the pot roast in a 225°F oven, once you have browned it on the stovetop, and brought the liquid to a simmer (make sure to use an oven proof pan).
- Cook for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, until meat is tender. (If you are using a pressure cooker, cut the time by half). Near the end of the cooking, add carrots, cook until tender, about an additional 10 minutes.
- After cooking 3 1/2 hours, before adding the carrots. Note how much liquid has been released by the meat. This comes from slow cooking at a very low temperature. If your pot roast is too dry, make sure the pan you are using has a tight fitting lid and that you are cooking at the lowest possible heat to maintain the low simmering.
- Pot Roast recipe is ready to serve.
Marinated Tri Tip Roast with Mushrooms and Garlic INGREDIENTS
20 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 fresh jalapeño chili pepper, stem removed, the rest left whole
- Juice of one lime
- 2 cups warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Tri tip and sauce:
- One tri tip roast, about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 pounds, with a layer of fat on one side left on
- Olive oil
- 8 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced, or 2 oz dried shiitake that have been soaking in water
- 6-8 large cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 cups fine dry red wine, such as a Cabernet
- Salt and pepper
How to make Marinated Tri Tip Roast with Mushrooms and Garlic
- Prepare the marinade by putting the marinade ingredients into a blender, and blend for 10 to 15 seconds until well blended. Place meat and marinade in a airtight plastic bag or plastic container. Place in refrigerator and let marinate overnight.
- Remove meat from refrigerator and still wrapped, let come to room temperature.
- Pre-heat oven to 500°F. Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil. Rub olive oil all over the roast surface. Place on a roasting pan, fat side up. Bake in oven for 20-40 minutes (depending on the size of the roast) until the internal temperature is 130-135°F for rare, 140-145°F for medium. If you have a smaller roast (1 1/2 lb), take it out on the low side of the range of temps. Cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 2-5 minutes (but no more than 5 minutes) before carving.
- While the roast is cooking, you can prepare the mushrooms. Coat the bottom of a large skillet with about 4 tablespoons of olive oil and bring to high heat. Add the mushrooms, onions, garlic and sauté for several minutes, stirring constantly, until the mushrooms get browned and the onions translucent. Add a cup of wine. Reduce the wine, adding more wine as needed if the mushrooms absorb too much.
- Slice the roast against the grain and serve slices with the mushrooms.
- Marinated Tri Tip Roast with Mushrooms and Garlic recipe is ready to serve.