Recipes for rice
Black Beans Rice Ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium, low fat vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 1/2 cups canned black beans, drained
How to make Black Beans Rice:
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 4 minutes. Add the rice and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, bring to a boil, cover and lower the heat and cook for 20 minutes. Add the spices and black beans.
Coconut Rice Pudding Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups cold unsalted cooked rice
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup well-stirred canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
How to make Coconut Rice Pudding:
Simmer rice, milk, coconut milk, sugar, and salt, uncovered, in a 2 1/2- to 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 40 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Serve warm.
Peanut Rice Noodles Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon bottled ground fresh ginger (such as Spice World)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chile paste with garlic (such as Sambal oelek)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- Cooking spray
- 4 (4-ounce) boneless loin pork chops, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 (6-ounce) package rice noodles
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Lime wedges (optional)
How to make Peanut Rice Noodles:
- Combine first 11 ingredients in a bowl, stirring with a whisk; set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add pork and pepper; cook 6 minutes or until pork is done. Add peanut butter mixture to pan, stirring well to coat pork; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 minute.
- Cook rice noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain. Add noodles to the pork mixture, tossing gently. Sprinkle with sliced green onions. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Vegan Wild Rice And Mushroom Soup Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 2 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds
How to make Vegan Wild Rice And Mushroom Soup:
- Bring the vegetable broth to a boil in a large saucepan and add the wild rice. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, then add brown rice. Cover and cook for another 45 minutes, or until rice is done cooking.
- In a large skillet, sautee the onions and garlic until onions are brown and carmelized, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add mushrooms, celery and spices and cook for another 5 minutes, adding more oil or a little bit of broth if needed.
- Add the cooked rice, fresh parsley and almonds, and stir well to combine. Cook for another minute or two, until everything is just heated through.
Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers Rice Ingredients:
- 8 peppers (red, green, orange or yellow)
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 400g of basmati rice
- 3 teaspoons of dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- freshly ground black pepper
- pinch of salt
- boiling water
How to make Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers Rice:
- Make sure the oven is at a medium heat, preferably at 190 degrees celsius
- To prepare the peppers, cut a lid out of the top of each pepper around the stalk, making sure that all the white bits inside and seeds are removed.
- In a heated frying pan add around 2 tablespoons of olive oil add onions to this and stir. Cook onions until the are translucent but be careful not to brown them as this alters the taste. Add in garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Strain the tomatoes into a measuring jug and make the juice of the tomatoes up to 600ml using the already boiled water. Keep the strained tomatoes because you will need them later.
- Add the rice and oregano and parsley to the onions and garlic in the pan. Add the tomato juice and water mixture to pan and bring to the boil. Cover the pan and let it simmer for 8 minutes. Add the remaining chopped tomatoes and slowly heat. Remove the pan from the heat and let it settle until all the liquid has been absorbed. Season with salt and pepper. Put the contents of the pan into a baking tray and smooth out so that there are no clumps, this can be done using the back of a fork.
- Now take the cut out peppers and stuff them carefully with the mixture. Replace the lids onto the peppers and drizzle with some olive oil. Put all the peppers in a baking tray, puor just a little water into the bottom of the tray for steaming purposes, do not drown the peppers.
- Bake the peppers uncovered int he oven for approx 30 minutes or until the peppers are nice and soft and the rims are just lightly browned.
- Serve immediately, with salad. They can be eaten hot or cold, but they delicious when hot.
Sweet Saffron Rice Ingredients:
- 1/2 tsp. saffron strands
- 2 tbsp. hot milk
- 3/4 cup (150 g) rice
- 45 g clarified butter or margarine
- 3 cardamom seeds
- 1-inch stick cinnamon
- 2/3 cup (170 ml) cold milk
- 4 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. cream
- 30 g toasted almonds (flaked)
- 30 g chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup (30 gms) raisins
How to make Sweet Saffron Rice:
- Soak saffron strands in hot milk. Cook the rice in boiling water for 5 minutes, then drain. Melt margarine/clarified butter in a pan, saute rice, cardamom seeds and cinnamon stick for 3 minutes. Add cold milk and sugar, and mix gently. Cover the pan with a lid and simmer until the rice is fully cooked. Lastly, add cream and the saffron milk, and cover and simmer for 1 minute. Spoon into a serving dish, sprinkle nuts and raisins and serve either hot or cold. Best when eaten hot.
- serves 6-8. This preparation makes the rice quite mushy. It’s best eaten that way.If saffron is unavailable, you could omit it (along with the hot milk), and at the end, just stir in a few drops of yellow food coloring.
Sweet Coconut Rice Ingredients:
- 500 g (1 lb) glutinous rice
- 2.5 cups coconut milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
How to make Sweet Coconut Rice:
Soak rice overnight in water. Drain and steam rice for 45 minutes or until grains may be pressed in the fingers and there is no hard core. Put the rice into a saucepan, add coconut milk and sugar and simmer on very low heat, stirring occasionally, until all the milk is absorbed. Turn on to a plate and flatten with a greased banana leaf or the back of a spoon. Allow to cool and set, then cut into diamond shapes. Serve as a dessert or snack with sliced ripe bananas.
Tamarind Rice Andhra Style Ingredients:
- Rice — 3 cups
- Tamarind Extract — 5 tbsp.
- Split Bengal Gram — 2 tbsp.
- Peanuts — 0.5 cup
- Mustard Seeds — 0.5 tsp.
- Dried Red Chile — 5
- Green Chile — 4
- Black Pepper Corns — 8
- Turmeric Powder — 0.5 tsp.
- Oil — 0.5 cup
- Water — 5 cups
- Coriander Leaves — 1 bunch
- Curry Leaves — 20
- Sesame Seeds — 1 tbsp. (powdered)
- Asafoetida — 0.5 tsp.
- Salt to taste.
How to make Tamarind Rice Andhra Style:
- In a large bowl, add water and rice and cook until well done.
- Remove from heat and in a wide, large bowl spread out the rice.
- Add turmeric, half of the curry leaves and three tablespoons of oil to the rice and mix thoroughly.
- Keep it aside. Meanwhile in a skillet, heat remaining oil on lowheat.
- To this add black mustard seeds, split bengal gram, red chile, pepper corns and peanuts.
- When the bengal gram turns light brown, add coriander leaves,remaining curry leaves,
- asafoetida, sliced green chiles and tamarind extract.
- Stir well. Remove from heat. Now add salt and sesame seed powder to the skillet and add it all to the bowl containing rice.
- Mix thoroughly. Serve with Verusanagapappu
- Pacchadi or plain yoghurt.
Tex-Mex Rice Ingredients:
- 2 cloves peeled and halved garlic
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup long grain white rice (not instant or fast cooking)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canschicken broth or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup salsa (any store brand will do)
- 1/4 cup chopped diced carrot (fresh, optional)
- 1/4 cup frozen corn or 1/4 cup fresh corn
How to make Tex-Mex Rice:
- In a heavy pot, cook garlic in oil over high heat until browned, stirring often.
- Discard garlic cloves.
- Add rice to infused oil and reduce heat to medium high.
- Stirring constantly, brown rice.
- Add broth, salsa, carrots and corn and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Fluff rice before serving.
Thai Fried Rice With Chicken Ingredients:
- 4 cups cooked rice, preferably several days old (SERVES 2)
- 1/2 to 1 cup cooked chicken or turkey, OR raw chicken, cut into very small pieces
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 minced green or red chili, OR 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. dried crushed chili
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce (plus more to taste)
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 egg
- 3 spring (green) onions, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil OR coriander/cilantro
How to make Thai Fried Rice With Chicken:
- First, prepare cold rice by drizzling over 1 Tbsp. of the oil. Use your fingers to mix the oil in with the rice and separate the rice grains, removing any clumps.
- Place remaining oil in a large frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add garlic and chili. Stir-fry until fragrant (30 seconds to 1 minute).
- Add chicken plus 2 Tbsp. stock. Stir-fry enough to thoroughly warm the meat if cooked. If raw, stir fry until meat is well cooked (3-5 minutes). Add remaining stock, as necessary, to prevent the pan from becoming dry and to keep ingredients sizzling.
- Using a wooden spoon or spatula, push ingredients aside and crack the egg into the middle of the wok/pan. Stir quickly to cook and break up the egg (like making scrambled eggs).
- When egg is cooked, add the rice plus fish sauce. Stir fry, keeping the heat medium-high. Do not add any more stock/liquid at this point, or your rice will become soggy. You want it hot and dry and light-textured.
- Add frozen peas and continue to stir-fry another 2-3 minutes, or until you can hear the rice “popping”. Cooking Tip: If you find the rice is sticking, push the rice aside and add a little more oil to the bottom of the pan – this will make the rice “shine”, like restaurant quality fried rice.
- Do a taste-test for saltiness. If not salty or flavorful enough, add more fish sauce. If too salty for your taste (this will depend on the stock you used), add up to 1 Tbsp. fresh-squeezed lime juice.
- Sprinkle with spring onion and basil or coriander, and serve piping hot from the wok/pan. Thai chili sauce can be served on the side. Enjoy!