Recipes for rice
Masoor Rice Ingredients:
- 3 cups sprouted masoor (whole red lentil)
- 1 1/2 cups rice (chawal)
- 5 tsp ghee
- mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- cumin seeds (jeera)
- a pinch asafoetida (hing)
- salt to taste
Grind to Paste
- 3 big sized onions
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1/2 bunch coriander (dhania) leaves
- ginger (adrak)
- 5 green chillies
- 10 to 15 curry leaves (kadi patta)
How to make Masoor Rice:
- Wash rice and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds and let them splutter
- Once done add hing and cumin seeds
- Add the ground paste and fry till oil seperates.
- Add rice and sprouted masoor and fry well.
- Add salt as per taste.
- Put everything in a cooker and add 2.5 cups of water.
- Cook upto 2 whistles on medium flame.
- Serve hot with raita or kadhi, papad and pickle of your choice.
Meethe Chawal Ingredients:
- 2 cups rice (chawal) (presoaked)
- 4 cups grated carrot
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 to 5 cardamoms (elaichi)
- 4 to 5 cloves (laung / lavang)
- a few drops of vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup oil or ghee
How to make Meethe Chawal:
- Take a pot of water and add rice to it.
- When the water starts to boil, and the rice is half done, drain and keep aside.
- In the pot add the oil/ghee and heat it. fry the small cardamoms and cloves in it lightly.
- Add the sugar, carrots, and rice.
- Mix together and cover and cook on very low heat until the rice is done, water is dried and the carrots have become very tender.
Fish Pulao Ingredients:
- Boneless fish – 500 gm
- Basmati rice – 400 gm
- Onion paste – 115 gm
- Ginger – 5 gm
- Green chillies paste – 2 nos
- Pepper corns – 10 gm
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Chilly powder – As reqd
- Salt – As reqd
- Potatoes – 50 gm
- Ghee – 50 gm
- Oil – 250 gm
- Lemon juice – As reqd
How to make Fish Pulao:
- Marinate fish by adding limejuice, salt, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, chilly powder and mix well. Keep it aside for about ½ an hour.
- Slice the onions and chop ginger and garlic.
- Cook the marinated fish adding little water in a closed container.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Saute onion, ginger and garlic.
- When it turns brown, add only the cooked masala water to this along with the limejuice.
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry the rice in it.
- Add the fried rice to the masala water. If required, add water to make it double the quantity of rice.
- Add little salt and top it with half-cooked fish. Cook for about 20 minutes.
Kitchari Rice Ingredients:
- 1 cup mung dal/moong dahl, split yellow lentils
- 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons of ghee
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger (root), peeled, chopped up well
- 1 tsp ajwan seeds (caraway)
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
How to make Kitchari Rice:
First, wash the mung dal and the rice really well. Wash & strain, wash & strain. Then heat the water til it boils. Throw in the mung dal & rice. Cover. Turn heat down to low. While that’s going, crush the three seeds (ajwan, fennel & cumin). In another pan, heat the ghee on medium and add the ginger, seeds, tumeric, cinnamon sticks – it should smell really good! If you are adding veggies, add them to the spices once the spices are roasted.
When the water is no longer covering the mung dal & rice…but you still know there is 1/2 water in the pot, add the spices and veggies. Stir. Cover. Turn on low heat and cook until all water is absorbed. Tadaaaa! Serve with ghee and you can add a little salt. mm!
Green Chili Chicken Rice Soup Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked, boneless and skinless chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped green chile peppers
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch garlic powder
How to make Green Chili Chicken Rice Soup:
- In a large pot melt butter or margarine. Add flour and stir the resulting paste over medium heat. Add the milk and chicken broth and whip to eliminate any lumps. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer.
- Add the chicken. Add the chopped green chiles, salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Stir well and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes and serve.
Chana Pulao Ingredients
- 1 cup whole Chana (white, black or green)
- 1 cup rice soaked for about 30 minutes
- 5 tbs. oil
- 1 medium sized onion sliced
- 1 tbs. ginger (Adrak) paste
- 1 tbs. garlic (Lehsan) paste
- 1 tsp. whole Cumin Seeds (Zeera)
- 6 black pepper (Kali Mirch).
- 6 cloves (Laung)
- 1 black cardamom (Bari Ilaichi)
- ½ inch piece of cinnamon (Dalchini)
- 1 tsp. salt (according to taste
How to make Chana Pulao Recipe
- Add about 3 cups of water and boil till the Chana becomes tender but does not break apart. Drain and keep aside.
- In another pan, heat the oil and add the onions. Sauté till it starts to turn brown.
- Add the Ginger (Adrak), Garlic (Lehsan), Cumin Seeds (Zeera)), Black Peppercorn. (Kali Mirch), Clove (Laung), Ilaichi, cinnamon and salt along with ½ cup of water. Mix well and allow the water to dry. Add the Chana and presoaked rice.
- Add water so that it reaches about a 1½ cm above the level of the rice and Chana.
- Cover and cook till water dries and the rice and Chana tender.
- Reduce heat to the minimum, cook in their own steam (dum) for another 5 minutes and remove.
- Serve with garlic chutney or Achaar.
Serving: 4 to 5 persons
Mushroom Fried Rice Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps sliced
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red-pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 6 scallions including green tops, sliced thin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
How to make Mushroom Fried Rice:
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Stir in the rice and boil until just done, about 10 minutes. Drain the rice and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick frying pan or wok, heat 1 tablespoon of the cooking oil over moderately high heat. Add half the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are tender and golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining mushrooms and another tablespoon of the cooking oil. Add these mushrooms to the plate.
- In the same frying pan, heat the remaining tablespoon of cooking oil over moderate heat. Add the red-pepper flakes, ginger, and scallions and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Increase the heat to moderately high and add the rice, salt, and soy sauce. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes and then add the peas and mushrooms. Cook, stirring, until everything’s warm, another 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sesame oil.
Modur Pulao Ingredients
2 cup Long Grain Basmati Rice
- 2 cup Sugar
- ½ cup Ghee
- ½ tsp Whole Cardamoms
- ½ tsp Cloves
- ½ tsp Black Peppercorns
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- 5 bay Leaves
- 5 Saffron Strands
- ½ cup Almonds, blanched and split
- ½ cup Raisins
- ½ cup Dry Coconut Slivers
- ½ cup Dried Dates
- Water, as required
- 2 tsp Milk
How to make Modur Pulao
- Wash and drain the rice and keep it aside.
- Take a large pan and boil 8 cups of water in it. Put rice in it and let it cook.
- When cooked (3/4th prepared), drain the rice and set it aside.
- In the meantime, soak saffron strands in 2 tsp milk and mix it to make a paste.
- Heat ghee in a large pan and put all the spices in it except saffron. Allow it to sizzle a bit.
- Now, add sugar and 1/3 cup of water in it and stir well.
- Put all the dry fruits in it and stir well again.
- Now, add cooked rice in it along with saffron liquid and mix it carefully.
- Cover it and let it cook for an hour.
- When cooked, mix it gently to separate the rice grains and serve warm.
500 g Rice (soaked)
- 250 g Green Gram (Moong)
- 1 cup Mustard Oil
- 1tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Dry Ginger Powder
- 1 tsp Caraway Seeds (Ajwain)
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- 1 tbsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Aniseed Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
How to make Khechier
- Soak green gram with rice and all the other ingredients.
- After some time, all the water gets absorbed.
- Put on a low flame and keep stirring for ten minutes.
- If you have a heavy bottomed pan, then place a griddle (tava) between the flame and the pan.
- Let it cook on slow flame for half an hour.
- Serve hot.
Bhari Bhindi Ingredients:
Bhindi (Okra) 1 kilogram
- Salt 1 tablespoon
- Red Chili 1 tablespoon
- Khatai Powder 1 tablespoon
- Zeera Powder 1 tablespoon
- Oil 2 cups for deep frying
- To be eaten with
- Boiled Rice
- Chapati / Pita Bread
How to make Bhari Bhindi
- Wash bhindi and dry thoroughly.
- Remove heads and slit one side but not all the way through so masala can be filled.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients together and with a spoon fill in the bhindi.
- Fry till crisp.
- Serve with boiled rice or chapati.
- Great as a side dish.