Recipes for rice
Sweet Yellow Rice Ingredients:
- 150g/5 oz patna or basmati rice
- 200ml/7 fl oz water
- 150g/5 oz sugar
- 150ml/1/4 pt water
- 50g/2 oz raisins
- 25g/1 oz blanched almonds, chopped
- 25g/1 oz cashew nuts, chopped
- 25g/1 oz desiccated (shredded) coconut
- 15ml/1 tbsp ghee
- 5ml/1 tsp ground cardamom
- 5ml/1 tsp yellow food color
- 1.5ml/1/4 tsp saffron
- 50g/2 oz Khoya
How to make Sweet Yellow Rice:
- Place the rice and water in a pan, bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low and cook for 7 minutes until all the water has been absorbed and the rice is not quite cooked.
- Place the sugar, water, raisins, nuts, coconut, ghee, cardamom, food color and saffron in a pan, bring to the boil then stir in the rice.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 7 minutes until the rice is cooked and the water has been absorbed, Gently mix in half the khoya then sprinkle with the remaining khoya and serve hot.
Stir fry Rice Noodles Ingredients:
- 225 g rice sticks, rice vermicelli or rice noodles
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1/2 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 2 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 6 spring onions, shredded
- 225 g bean sprouts, trimmed at bean sprouts
- 100 g red or green chillies, finely shredded
- 225 g water chestnuts, peeled if fresh, rinsed if canned, finely shredded
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp yellow bean sauce
- 2 tbsp shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 5 tbsp chicken stock or water
- Conversion Calculator
How to make Stir fry Rice Noodles:
- Soak the rice noodles in a bowl of warm water for 25 minutes, then drain.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan until it is very hot. Add the oil, and when hot, toss in the garlic, ginger and spring onions and stir-fry for 15 seconds. Next, add the bean sprouts, shredded peppers and water chestnuts. Stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the salt, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, bean sauce, rice wine, stock and. Stir-fry for about 3 minutes until the noodles are well-mixed and heated through. Serve at once.
Green Rice Ingredients:
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth or water
- 2 roasted poblano peppers, stems, seeds and skin removed
- 1 roasted jalapeno pepper, stem, seeds and skin removed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, divided
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 Spanish onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups long-grain rice
How to make Green Rice:
- Combine the broth and chiles in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil, and then partially cover and simmer gently over medium to medium-low heat for about 10 minutes. Pour the chile mixture into a food processor, add 1/4 cup cilantro and process to a smooth puree. Season with salt and keep warm.
- Wipe the pan clean, add the oil, and heat over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the rice and cook for 1 minute. Add the warm broth mixture, stir, and season with salt. Bring to a boil, cover, and then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes, covered. Fluff with a fork, transfer to a bowl, and stir in remaining cilantro
Chicken Lemon Rice Ingredients:
- 1.5 liters (6 cups) chicken stock
- 2 eggs
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 6 tbsp. uncooked rice
How to make Chicken Lemon Rice:
- Bring the broth to a boil in a pot or large saucepan;
- sprinkle in the rice and cook until tender;
- in a bowl, beat together the eggs and lemon juice; gradually blend in a ladleful of hot broth, stirring constantly;
- reduce the heat to low;
- gently pour the egg and lemon mixture into the soup, stirring all the while; leave for a few minutes to thicken, but don’t let the mixture boil or it will break;
- serve immediately.
Singaporian Rice Noodles Ingredients:
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 8 dried or fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 12 ounces of fine dry rice vermicelli (Wai Wai brand recommended)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced thin
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced thin
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and sliced thin
- 1 cup bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
- 8 green onions, root end trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pound char siu (Chinese barbecued pork), cut into matchsticks
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoons Madras (hot) curry powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons granlulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons hot chili paste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
How to make Singaporian Rice Noodles:
- If using dried shiitake mushrooms, soak them in hot water for half an hour. Drain, then cut off the stems. Slice the mushrooms thinly.
- Put the rice vermicelli in a large bowl and soak in enough hot water to cover, until the noodles are soft (about 8 to 10 minutes). Drain noodles and set aside.
- Start by heating up 2 tablespoons of oil in a small pan over medium heat. Add the curry powder, the ginger, and the minced garlic, and saute until fragrant. Add the chicken broth, soy sauce, sugar, and chili paste. Stir to combine and then cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large wok over high heat. Add in the remaining garlic and ginger, and stir-fry until the garlic starts to become golden. Add in the celery, onion, pepper, sprouts, green onions, and mushrooms. Stir-fry for 3 minutes, until the vegetables start to soften. Set the vegetables aside in a bowl.
- Heat the last 2 tablespoons of oil in the wok over high heat. Add in the shrimp and stir-fry until they start to turn pink on both sides. Add the char siu and toss to combine.
- Add in the noodles and the vegetables. Pour on the sauce and also add the oyster sauce. Mix the ingredients thoroughly to coat all the noodles and incorporate all the vegetables.
- Serve hot.
Seafood Rice Paella Ingredients:
- 1 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined, shells reserved
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound cleaned squid
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup canned tomatoes, with their juice, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups medium-grain rice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground saffron
- 1 pound sea scallops
- 1 cup frozen peas
How to make Seafood Rice Paella:
- In 3-quart saucepan, combine shrimp shells and water. Heat to boiling; reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer 30 minutes. Strain broth through sieve; discard shells. There should be about 3 cups shrimp broth.
- Rinse squid with cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Slice squid bodies crosswise into 1/2-inch rings. Cut tentacles into 1-inch pieces. In deep nonstick 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is tender, about 7 minutes. Add red pepper and cook 4 minutes. Add squid and cook 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with their juice, 1/2 cup shrimp broth, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes. Stir in rice, saffron, remaining 2-1/2 cups shrimp stock, and remaining 1-1/4 teaspoons salt. Heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until squid is tender and rice is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Pull off and discard tough crescent-shaped muscle from each scallop. Cut scallop horizontally in half if large. Stir scallops, shrimp, and frozen peas into rice mixture in skillet; cover and cook until scallops and shrimp are just opaque throughout, about 9 minutes longer.
Rice Pakoras Ingredients:
- Gram flour(Kadala podi) – 60 gm
- Boiled rice – 2 cups
- Green chillies(chopped) – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves(chopped) – 1 tsp
- Onion(chopped) – ½ tsp
- Gingerchopped) – 1 tsp
- Chaat masala – 1 tsp
- Salt – As reqd
- Oil for deep frying
How to make Rice Pakoras:
- Mix together all the above ingredients except oil.
- Add about ¼ cup of water to make a thick batter.
- Heat oil in a pan or a kadai on a moderate heat.
- Spoon the batter into the hot oil with a tablespoon.
- Deep fry till light golden brown.
- Drain on a paper towel to remove excess oil and fry once again in very hot oil briefly.
- :- Serve hot with chutney of your own choice.
- :- For this recipe you may also use leftover cooked rice.
Stir fry Vegetables Rice Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
How to make Stir fry Vegetables Rice:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a saucepan combine broth, rice and margarine. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Place sesame seeds on a small baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 5 to 6 minutes, or until golden brown; set aside. Meanwhile, heat peanut oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat until very hot. Add asparagus, bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, ginger and garlic and stir-fry for 4 to 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender but crisp. Stir in soy-sauce and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and stir in sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds. Serve over rice.
Prawn Rice Pulao Ingredients:
- 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 700g / 1½ lb boneless skinless chicken pieces (breast and thighs), cut into 2.5cm / 1 inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 200g / 7oz long-grain white rice
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp saffron strands
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100ml / 3½ fl oz pomegranate juice
- 900ml / 1½ pints chicken stock
- 125g / 4oz ready-to-eat dried apricots or prunes, halved
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped mint or parsley
- pomegranate seeds, to garnish (optional)
Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over a medium-high heat. Cook the chicken pieces, in batches, until lightly browned. Return all the browned chicken to the saucepan.
Add the onions to the saucepan, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to soften. Add the cumin and rice and stir to coat the rice. Cook for about 2 minutes until the rice is golden and translucent. Stir in the tomato purée and the saffron strands, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
Add the pomegranate juice and stock and bring to the boil, stirring once or twice. Add the apricots or prunes and raisins and stir gently. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 30 minutes until the chicken and rice are tender and the liquid is absorbed.
Turn into a shallow serving dish and sprinkle with the chopped mint or parsley. Serve immediately, garnished with pomegranate seeds, if using.
Lemon Pepper Rice Ingredients:
- 1/4 teaspoon butter, unsalted
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped onions
- 1/4 cup converted rice
- 1/3 cup water
- juice of 3/4 lemon
- freshly ground black pepper
- salt to taste
How to make Lemon Pepper Rice:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a small ovenproof pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until the onions become translucent but not brown.
- Add the rice and stir to coat evenly with butter. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the water, lemon juice and a generous amount of black pepper and bring to a boil over high heat.
- As soon as the water comes to a boil, cover the pot and place in the oven for 18 minutes.
- Add the salt and fluff with a fork.