Italian Rice Fritters Ingredients:
1 3/4 cup (350 g) rice (cheap rice is best here — not parboiled, however)
- 1 quart (1 liter) milk
- The zest of one lemon
- 3-4 Tablespoons sugar
- A walnut-sized chunk of unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 jigger of rum or sweet wine — vinsanto, for example — as you prefer
- 4/5 cup (100 g) flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Oil for frying
- Confectioner’s sugar
How to make Italian Rice Fritters
- Simmer the rice in the milk until it’s quite soft and has begun to give off its starch, then stir in the sugar, lemon zest, and butter and let the mixture cool.
- Separate the eggs and whip the whites to soft peaks. Stir the yolks and the rum or wine into the rice mixture, then fold in the egg whites, flour and baking powder. Drop the batter a teaspoon at a time into hot oil and fry the frittelle until they are a rich golden brown.
- Drain them on absorbent paper, and when they have cooled dust them with confectioner’s sugar.
Breakfast Tortilla Wrap is ready to serve.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Yield: Not Enough Rice Fritters