Eggplant Relish Ingredients
3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium sized eggplant – about 1 lb, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup walnuts or pinenuts
- 1/4 cup pitted green olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 to 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp capers, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
How to make Eggplant Relish
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onion begins to soften – about 5 minutes. Add the garlic. Cook a couple minutes more.
- Add eggplant and tomatoes. Cover. Cook, stirring occasionally until eggplant is very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add vinegar, nuts, olives, raisins, sugar, and capers. Cook uncovered over medium-low heat until vegetables begin to break down, about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Mix in the parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Relish can be refrigerated, covered, up to 5 days.
- Makes 4 cups. Serve with toasted French baguette slices, bread sticks, on a sandwich, or with fish or chicken.
- Eggplant Relish is ready to serve.