Red Lentil Salad Ingredients
1 cup Red Chief or regular brown lentils
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped red or yellow bell peppers
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 3/4 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 3/4 cup diced (1/4 in.) cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Salt and pepper
How to make Red Lentil Salad
- Sort lentils and discard any debris. Rinse and drain lentils.
- In a 2- to 3-quart pan, bring about 1 quart water to a boil over high heat.
- Add lentils, stir to separate, and simmer, uncovered, just until they are tender to bite but not soft, 5 to 10 minutes for Red Chiefs, 20 to 30 minutes for regular lentils. Drain.
- Mix vinegar, oil, and garlic.
- Pour over warm lentils and gently mix.
- Let stand until cool.
- Add bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, cucumber, basil, and feta cheese.
- Mix gently with lentils.
Red lentil salad is ready to serve, add salt and pepper to taste.
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings