Braised Red Cabbage with Chestnuts Ingredients
1 pound fresh chestnuts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 2-pound head red cabbage, cored, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
How to make Braised Red Cabbage with Chestnuts
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Using small knife, cut an X in each chestnut. Place in roasting pan. Bake until shells loosen, about 35 minutes. Cool slightly. Remove hard shell and brown skin from each nut. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-low heat. Add onion; sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add cabbage, vinegar, water and sugar. Cover; cook until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes. Add nuts; cook until warm, about 10 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper.
Braised Red Cabbage with Chestnuts is ready to serve.
yield: Serves 8