Recipes for potato
Potato in Yogurt Gravy Ingredients:
- 2 large boiled potatoes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- Pinch of asafetida (hing)
- 2 teaspoons besan (gram flour)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tablespoons yogurt
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder (dhania)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 chopped cilantro (hara dhania)
- 1 1/2 cups of water
How to make Potato in Yogurt Gravy:
- Boil the potatoes until they are tender.
- Peel and cut them in bite size pieces.
- Mix the yogurt, ginger, green chilies, turmeric powder, coriander powder and paprika into a paste.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil. If the cumin seed cracks right away, the oil is ready.
- Add the cumin seeds and asafetida. After the cumin seeds crack, add the bay leaf and besan (gram flour). Stir for about half a minute until the besan (gram flour) is golden-brown.
- Add the yogurt paste and stir-fry for about 2 minutes on medium heat until the paste starts leaving the oil from the sides.
- Add the potatoes and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add about one cup of water. After the gravy boils, let it cook on low-medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes. Adjust the water in gravy to your liking.
- Add the cilantro and salt and continue to cook for a few minutes. Serve with any kind of bread.
Baked Herb Potatoes Ingredients:
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or oregano
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
How to make Baked Herb Potatoes:
- Put half of the sliced potatoes and half of the sliced onions in a buttered 9-inch pie plate. Sprinkle with half of the dried herbs and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the butter. Repeat layers, ending with remaining melted butter. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover plate with foil. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 to 20 minutes longer, or until potatoes are tender.
- Herbed potato slices recipe serves 4.
Aloo Kofta Curry Ingredients:
- Boiled potatoes 4
- Bread slices 2
- Oinion 1
- Coriander leaves few
- Mint leaves few
- Salt to taste
- Garam masala ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder 1 tsp
- Coriander seed powder ¼ tsp
- Cumin powder ¼ tsp
- Oil to fry
How to make Aloo Kofta Curry:
- Peal the skin of potatoes and smash it.
- Dip the bread slices in water in few seconds and squeeze it thoroughly.
- Mix both smashed potatoes and bread along with all powders and salt.
- Make a small balls out of it. Deep fry in the oil.
- Keep the koftas aside.
Potato Stuffed Pasta Ingredients:
- 1 lb. container Ricotta cheese
- 1 lb. shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 c. Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 lb. spinach, cooked and drained (squeeze out as much water as possible)
- 2 eggs
- Black pepper to taste
- About 1 tsp. sweet basil
- About 1/3 lb. Italian sausage, and about 1 lb. ground beef with onions, salt and pepper added, cooked and cooled
- 1 box cooked jumbo pasta shells (about 32 shells)
- 5 c. of your favorite spaghetti sauce (or 48 oz. Ragu with mushrooms)
How to make Potato Stuffed Pasta:
- In a large bowl, mix Ricotta cheese, spinach, Mozzarella (save some for topping) cheese, Parmesan cheese, eggs, pepper and basil. Mix with hands until the mixture is consistent, uniform, and no lumps exist. Add cooled ground beef and sausage, and mix again. (The ingredients are supposed to be cool so that the cheese doesn’t melt.)
- Fill each pasta shell with mixture. Fill casserole dishes 1/4 of the way with spaghetti sauce (individual serving casseroles, or 1 or 2 large ones). Place stuffed shells in sauce and top with Mozzarella cheese. Spoon a little sauce over shells. Bake in 450 degree oven for about 10 minutes or until done (about 20 to 25 minute if mixture has been refrigerated at 425 degrees).
Potato Stuffed Chicken Breast Ingredients:
- 2 baking potatoes (about 8 ounces each), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Grated peel and juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves (about 3-1/2 pounds total)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley For a change
How to make Potato Stuffed Chicken Breast:
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a medium saucepan, bring the potatoes and enough cold water to cover to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, then return the potatoes to the pot. Add the milk, butter and lemon peel and mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the potatoes to a work surface, flatten into an even round and cut into quarters.
- Run your fingers under the skin of each chicken breast to separate it from the meat. Place one-quarter of the potatoes under the skin of each breast, gently pressing to evenly distribute. Place the stuffed chicken in a roasting pan. Drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake until tender and the juices run clear, about 40 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate. Stir the lemon juice, parsley and remaining 2 tablespoons butter into the pan juices, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve.
Mushroom Potato Curry Ingredients:
- Mushroom – 6
- Potato – 3 medium size
- Curry leaves – 2 stems
- Tomato – 2
- Onion – 2 big
- Coriander powder – 3 tsp
- Chily powder – 1.5 tsp
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Jeera powder – 1.5 tsp
- Coconut – Handful
- Green chilly – 4 or 5
How to make Mushroom Potato Curry:
- Cook the potatoes in the cooker till soft. Cut mushrooms in small size.
- Heat oil in a big pan. When it is hot, add mustard. When it bursts, add chopped onion, tomato, curry leaves. Stir till it is soft. Add all the masala powders. Stir till the raw smell goes. Add the mashed potatoes to the pan and also the mushrooms. Stir well. Add enough salt and water.
- Grind the coconut and green chilly. When the curry is hot, add this mixture to the curry. Stir well. Cover the pan and wait till it boils and is cooked.
- Decorate with mint leaves or coriander leaves.
Potato Curry Ingredients:
- 12 even-sized small boiling potatoes
- 4 medium-sized red potatoes
- 7 tablespoons light vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger root
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 cup canned tomatoes
- 2/3 cup plain yoghurt
- 4 teaspoons salt (I use sea salt)
- 2/3 cup heavy cream (optional)
How to make Potato Curry:
- Peel potatoes and prick them in 4 or 5 places. Put them in a bowl of cold water until you are ready to cook them.
- Heat 5 Tbsp. of the vegetable oil in a large non-stick pan that can hold all the potatoes in one layer (such as a 5-quart casserole; cast iron Dutch oven is great) over medium-high heat. When the oil is very hot, drain the potatoes, pat them dry on paper towels, and add to pan with oil. Fry them until they acquire several tiny browned spots and a crust (about 8-10 minutes), turning and tossing them to ensure even browning. (This is an essential step, as the browning prevents the potatoes’ falling apart during prolonged cooking.) With a slotted spoon, transfer them to a bowl.
- Add the rest of the oil to the pan along with the onions. Fry until the onions turn caramel brown (the onions will become kind of sticky and the oil will separate from them — about 15 minutes), stirring constantly so that they do not burn. Add ginger, and fry for an additional 30 seconds. Add cumin, coriander, turmeric, red pepper, and Mughal garam masala all at once, and stir rapidly for 15 seconds. Add tomatoes, yoghurt, salt, and the fried potatoes (in one layer), and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer very gently, covered (we also crimp some aluminum foil around the lid edges to ensure a good seal), for 35 minutes or until the potatoes are fully cooked. Check during cooking to make sure the gravy is not sticking and burning. The gravy should be thick enough to coat the potatoes. If it looks thin and runny, increase heat and boil rapidly, uncovered, until it reduces to the desired consistency. If, on the other hand, the gravy is too thick, add a few tablespoons of water.
- Add cream, stir, and simmer until heated through. If you want the dish to taste milder and subtler, stir in a little more oil (about 2 T). Check for salt, and serve.
- Note: This dish improves with keeping. For best results make it at least a few hours before you are going to serve it. It can be refrigerated for up to 4 days without loss of flavor.
Tandoori Potato Pizza Ingredients:
- 4 garlic cloves
- Salt & ground black pepper
- 80mls (1/3 cup} olive oil
- 1 25cm Lebanese bread round
- 2 medium (about 320g} desiree potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch fresh thyme, leaves picked
How to make Tandoori Potato Pizza:
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Finely chop 2 of the garlic cloves, sprinkle with a pinch of salt then crush the chopped garlic with the flat side of a knife blade. Combine the garlic and 2 tbs of the olive oil in a small bowl. Place the Lebanese bread on the lined baking tray and brush with the garlic oil.
- Finely slice the remaining garlic cloves, and combine with the sliced potatoes in a medium bowl. Add remaining olive oil and thyme leaves. Season with salt and pepper and toss thoroughly to combine.
- Arrange the potato and garlic mixture over the bread. Drizzle with any remaining olive oil and thyme leaves.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until golden and potatoes are tender. Serve immediately with a tomato and rocket salad, if desired.
- Bring on spring with gorg
Sweet Potato Lasagna Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 cup dried basil leaves
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
How to make Sweet Potato Lasagna:
- Heat oil in a heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add the sweet potato and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper, add water and cook until tender. Remove from heat and puree in blender and/or mixer.
- Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a heavy pan over medium heat, add flour and blend well. Gradually add milk. Bring to a low boil, turn down heat and simmer until sauce thickens. Add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, blend well. Add basil, salt and pepper (to taste) and remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a 13 by 9 by 2-inch glass baking dish. Spread a thin layer (about 3/4 cup) of the sauce on bottom of baking dish. Arrange 4 lasagna noodles on top of sauce. Spread 1/3 of potato over the noodles. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers, ending with lasagna noodles on top. Pour remainder of sauce over the noodles.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle the rest of the mozzarella cheese on top and bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until top is golden brown.
Aaloo Cholay Ingredients:
- 225 grams or 8 ounces of Chick Peas/Garbanzo Beans (Sufaid Chanay) (washed)
- ½” piece of Fresh Root Ginger (Adrak) (peeled & grated)
- 1 large Potato (peeled & cut into 4 cm – 1 ½” dice)
- 1 tsp. of Ground Turmeric (Pisi Haldi)
- ½ tsp. Red Chilli Powder (Pisi Lal Mirch)
- 2 fresh Green Chillies (Hari Mirchain) (slit lenghthwise into halves) (de-seeded for a mild flavor)
- 30 grams or 1 ounce of Clarified Butter (Ghee)
- 1 large Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 ¼ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp. Fresh Mint (Podina) (freshly chopped)
How to make Aaloo Cholay:
- Soak the chick peas overnight in plenty of cold water or use ready cooked – canned chick peas. Rinse several times and drain well.
- Place the chick peas, water and ginger in a large saucepan over a high heat, bring to the boil, cover the pan and simmer for 1-1 1/2 hours or until the chick peas are tender.
- Add the potato, cumin, turmeric, chilli powder and green chillies and mint, if you are using dried. Return to the boil, cover the pan and simmer for a further 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Melt the ghee over a medium heat and fry the oinion until they are lightly browned. Stir them into chick peas with salt and garam masala powder .
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and fresh mint.