Recipes for Poached
Poached Egg Rice Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 pinches of salt
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3/4 cup organic extra-firm tofu (optional), 1/4 inch dice
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped
- 2 – 3 cups dark leafy green, deveined and finely chopped
- 2 – 3 cups pre-cooked whole grain rice (brown is fine)
- 4 good quality eggs
How to make Poached Egg Rice:
- Fill a wide-mouthed saucepan with 3-4 inches of water and bring to a simmer.
- Separately, warm the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion, salt, and crusher red pepper flakes. Let the onions soften up a bit – a couple minutes. Stir in the tofu if you are using it – let that heat up and brown a tad. Now stir in the garlic and greens. Cook the greens for a couple minutes, until they collapse and soften up. Stir in the pre-cooked rice and saute until hot. Remove from heat, and set aside. Taste for seasoning as well.
- Now back to the simmering water. You are going to use this to poach the eggs one at a time. Gently crack egg into a ramekin, carefully slip it into a mesh strainer over your sink – some of the whites will run through and strain off (if the mesh is too fine, you won’t get the desired effect). This minimizes the fly-away whites you normally get. Now, carefully slide the egg back into the ramekin. Lower the ramekin down into the simmering water and let the egg slip out. Let it simmer there for a few minutes, past the point when the whites have become opaque. If you like a loose yolk, cook for less time. Remove the egg with a strainer or slotted spoon and either serve it atop some rice or set aside while you repeat the process with the remaining eggs.
- Divide the rice between four bowls and serve each topped with one of the poached eggs.
Poached Orange Pears Ingredients
1 1/2 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 (3 inch) cinnamon stick
- 4 large pears, peeled, halved, and cored
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
How to make Poached Orange Pears
- In a large saucepan, bring the orange juice, brown sugar and cinnamon stick to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Add pears; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender but firm.
- Using a slotted spoon, place each pear half in a dessert dish. Garnish with raspberries. Drizzle with poaching liquid.
- Poached Orange Pears recipe is ready to serve.
Prep Time:10 Min
Cook Time:20 Min
Ready In:30 Min