Recipes for Okra
Spicy Okra Curry Ingredients:
- 2 pounds okra( cleaned and dried )
- 1 big red onion
- 1 big tomato( seeded )
- 2 tbsp thick yogurt
- 1 tsp turmeric( optional )
- 1 tsp jeera powder( cumin powder )
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp red chilli powder or 4 chopped green chillies
- 1 tsp ginger chopped
- 1 tsp garlic chopped
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
How to make Spicy Okra Curry:
- Cut okra in 1/2 inch pieces.
- Chop onions into 1/2 inch pieces
- Chop tomotoes( remove the seeds and juice )
- Heat oil in kadai or wok and add onions, ginger, garlic and okra
- After 5-10 min add thick yogurt so that okra doesnt become mushy
- When okra starts to turn into golden brown add the powders and let them coat all the pieces in the curry
- Add tomatoes and cook the curry for a little while till the all the moisture id gone
- Add salt at the end and decorate curry with chopped coriander and mint leaves
Stew Tomatoes and Okra Ingredients:
- 1 pound fresh okra, washed, trimmed, sliced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- salt, to taste
How to make Stew Tomatoes and Okra:
Place sliced okra in pan; cover with water. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Drain water and add remaining ingredients. Simmer mixture for 15 to 20 minutes longer, until okra is tender. Add salt, if desired, to taste.
Okra Mushroom Ingredients:
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 inch piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 fresh red chilies, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 (14 ounce) can peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 1 lb mushroom, halved (or quartered, if large)
- 8 ounces okra, washed, dried and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
How to make Okra Mushroom:
Remove the seeds from the cardamom pods and grind in a mortar and pestle. Set aside. 2With either a stick blender or food processor, blend the garlic, ginger and chilies with 3 tablespoons of the water, until smooth. Set aside. 3Heat a large pan over medium to high heat, add the oil, and when hot, add the coriander and cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle for a few seconds. Add the ground cumin, cardamom and turmeric and cook for 1 minute. Add the garlic, ginger and chili paste, the tomatoes, the remaining water, mushrooms and okra. Mix well, bring to the boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. 4Uncover and cook the curry for 10 minutes more, or until the okra is tender. 5Serve hot, garnished with the cilantro and accompanied by rice and a tangy Indian relish.
Bhindi Curry Ingredients:
- 2 garlic clove (laung) chopped
- 3 tlbsp mustard oil (sarson ka tel)
- 4 oz tomato (tamatar)
- 1green pepper chopped
- 1tsp coriander seed
- 1tsp mustard seed (Raai)
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seed (Methi Dana) slightly crushed
- 12 oz okra (bhindi)
- 2 inch ginger chopped
- 1medium onion (pyaj) chopped
- 1tsp ground turmeric (haldi)
- 2 tsp red chilly powdered
- 2 tsp ground cumin
How to make bhindi curry:
- Wash the bhindi, top and tail, and cut into approximately 1/4″ pieces (or leave whole after topping and tailing if preferred).
- Fry mustard, coriander and fenugreek seeds in mustard oil for 2-3 minutes (cover the pot when the mustard seeds sputter.
- Mix in garlic, onion and ginger, fry gently for about 10 minutes more.
- Make the ground spices into a paste with a little water, mix in to the pot and fry for a further 10 minutes.
- Mix in bhindi (ladies finger), tomatoes, green pepper and chillies.
- Cover and simmer (boil slowly at low temperature) until the bhindi is soft but not sloppy (about 15-20 minutes).
Baked Crispy Okra Ingredietns:
- Okra/bhindi/ladysfinger – 15 nos,cut into 1″ pieces
- kashmiri chilli pdr – 1 1/2 tsp
- Yellow cornmeal – 1/2 cup
- salt to taste
How to make Baked Crispy Okra:
Preheat oven to 450 deg F.In a bowl mix the cornemal,chilli pdr and salt.Drop the chopped okra into the bowl and coat it evenly.Spread it on a baking sheet.Sprinkle some oil or non stick cooking sparay on top.Bake for 20-25 mins.Serve it hot with rice and dal.
Dry Okra Ingredients:
- green chili
- red pepper
- oil for fry
- 1 kilogram
- one in chunky slices
- 3 small piece
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon
How to make Dry Okra
- Cut okra in very small piece then put oil in deep pan fry okra in oil until it look crispy not look black after it get crispy put okra in separate pan and put onion,tomato ,green chili,salt,red pepper on it and add 1 teaspoon oil in it and just mix on low heat just for 2 minutes.
Bhari Bhindi Ingredients:
Bhindi (Okra) 1 kilogram
- Salt 1 tablespoon
- Red Chili 1 tablespoon
- Khatai Powder 1 tablespoon
- Zeera Powder 1 tablespoon
- Oil 2 cups for deep frying
- To be eaten with
- Boiled Rice
- Chapati / Pita Bread
How to make Bhari Bhindi
- Wash bhindi and dry thoroughly.
- Remove heads and slit one side but not all the way through so masala can be filled.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients together and with a spoon fill in the bhindi.
- Fry till crisp.
- Serve with boiled rice or chapati.
- Great as a side dish.
Bhindi Pyaz Ingredients:
1/2 kilogram Okra/ bhindi slice into 1/2? pieces. Discard top and end.
- 2 med. onions
- 2 med. tomatoes
- 3 large hot green chili cut in thing stripes
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1/2 ts coriander powder
- 1/2 ts mustard powder (Huldi)
- 1/2 ts black pepper powder
- salt to taste
How to make Bhindi Pyaz
- In a large heavy base pan, heat the oil over high heat.
- Add okra and mustard powder and fry for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and put aside.
Fry onion in the same oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add okra(bhindi), chopped tomatoes, green chili and rest of the ingredients.
- Cover and cook over low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Serve with Chapati.
Crispy Okra Ingredients:
- 1/2 kg okra wash, dry, remove top and slit into 4 lengthwise
- 1/2 cup bengal gram flour (besan)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
- 4 tsps chaat masala
- Salt to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- Vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil for deep frying
How to make Crispy Okra:
- Heat the cooking oil on a medium flame. Do not heat the oil too much as okra burns quickly when deep fried.
- Put the okra in a large mixing bowl and sprinkle all the other dry ingredients on it. Season with salt just before frying or else the okra will release water and become soggy.
- Deep fry the okra a little at a time, until crisp and drain on paper towels.
- Garnish with the lime juice and serve with plain boiled rice and your favorite Daal.
Okra With Tomatoes And Onions Ingredients:
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 pound frozen okra, thawed and sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 celery, chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
How to make Okra With Tomatoes And Onions:
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
- Remove bacon from pan and saute okra, onion, pepper and celery until tender. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper and cook until well blended.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon, if desired.