Recipes for mousse
Chocolate Mousse Ingredients
4 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) unsalted butter, diced
- 2 tablespoons espresso or very strong coffee (I used decaf espresso from a local Starbucks)
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- (Optional) Raspberries and extra whipped cream
How to make Chocolate Mousse
- Whip the cream to soft peaks, then refrigerate.
- Combine the chocolate, butter, and espresso in the top of a double boiler over hot, but not simmering, water, stirring frequently until smooth. Remove from the heat and let cool until the chocolate is just slightly warmer than body temperature. To test, dab some chocolate on your bottom lip. It should feel warm. If it is too cool, the mixture will seize when the other ingredients are added.
- Once the melted chocolate has cooled slightly, whip the egg whites in a medium bowl until they are foamy and beginning to hold a shape. Sprinkle in the sugar and beat until soft peaks form.
- When the chocolate has reached the proper temperature, stir in the yolks. Gently stir in about one-third of the whipped cream. Fold in half the whites just until incorporated, then fold in the remaining whites, and finally the remaining whipped cream.
- Spoon or pipe the mousse into a serving bowl or individual dishes. If you wish, layer in fresh raspberries and whipped cream. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours. (The mousse can be refrigerated for up to a day.)
Chocolate Mousse is ready to serve.
Strawberry Mousse Ingredients
1 quart fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 6 egg whites
How to make Strawberry Mousse
- Chop hulled strawberries in a food processor, leaving a few chunks. Stir in sugar. In a bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks form. In another bowl, whip egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream into strawberries. Fold egg whites into strawberry mixture. Serve immediately.
Strawberry Mousse is ready to serve.
Prep Time:15 Min
Ready In:15 Min
Chocolate Mousse Cake Ingredients
500g dark chocolate
- 2 tbs golden syrup
- 125g unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 1 tbs plain flour, sifted
- Melted chocolate, to decorate
- Chocolate sorbet, to serve
- Coffee mascarpone
- 200g mascarpone cheese
- 2 tbs instant coffee
- 2 tbs pure icing sugar
How to make Chocolate Mousse Cake
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Grease and line the base of a 20cm round spring-form cake pan with non-stick baking paper.
- Melt the chocolate, golden syrup and butter in a bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer or use an electric hand beater and beat on high for 10 minutes until very thick and pale. Gently fold in the flour then fold in the chocolate mixture until combined. Pour into the cake pan and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and run a knife around the edge of the cake. Remove collar from cake pan and transfer the cake to the fridge for 1 hour to cool (this step is important as it sets the middle of the cake).
- Meanwhile, to make the coffee mascarpone, dissolve coffee in 1 tablespoon of boiling water and set aside to cool. Beat together the mascarpone, coffee and sugar in a bowl until stiff.
- To make the chocolate leaf, brush non-toxic leaves with the melted chocolate. When cool, peel the leaf off.
- Slice the cake and serve with a dollop of coffee mascarpone, a chocolate leaf on top and a scoop of sorbet on the side.
- Chocolate Mousse Cake is ready to serve.
Salmon Mousse Ingredients
4 ounces smoked salmon
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ounce salmon roe
How to make Salmon Mousse
- Place smoked salmon in a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth. Mix in heavy cream, cream cheese, juice of half of a lemon, dried dill weed, salt and pepper. Blend to desired consistency. Transfer to a medium serving dish, and garnish with salmon roe.
- Salmon Mousse is ready to serve.
Prep Time:15 Min
Ready In:15 Min
Cappuccino Mousse Trifle Ingredients
2-1/2 cups cold milk
- 1/3 cup instant coffee granules
- 2 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 carton (16 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 2 loaves (10-3/4 ounces each) frozen pound cake, thawed and cubed
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
How to make Cappuccino Mousse Trifle
- In a large bowl, stir milk and coffee granules until dissolved; remove 1 cup and set aside.
- Add pudding mixes to the remaining milk mixture; beat on low speed for 2 minutes.
- Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
- Fold in half of the whipped topping.
- Place a third of the cake cubes in a 4-qt. serving or trifle bowl.
- Layer with a third of the reserved milk mixture and pudding mixture and a fourth of the grated chocolate.
- Repeat layers twice.
- Garnish with remaining whipped topping and chocolate.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Cappuccino Mousse Trifle is ready to serve.
Prep time: 35 min.
yield: 16-20 Servings
Butterscotch Mousse Cake Ingredients:
- 1/3 Cup flour
- 1/2 of 18 oz Pkg sugar Cookie Dough
- 1 1/2 Cup Mini Semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 Pkgs Twix Candy Bar 10 Packs
- 3 1/2 Cups heavy cream
- 25 oz Envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 Cup Butterscotch Chips
- Sweetened whipped cream
How to make Butterscotch Mousse Cake:
- Heat Oven to 350 Degrees.* Coat 8 Inch Round Cake Pan With cooking spray. in Bowl, Knead flour Into Dough Until Combined. Knead in 1/2 Cup chocolate chips. Press Dough Into Bottom of Pan. Bake 20 min. or Until Edges Are Lightly Browned. Cool 10 min. Remove From Pan. Line 9 Inch Springform Pan With Enough Plastic Wrap to Overhang Edges. Center Cookie in Pan. Insert 29 Candy Bars Vertically Between Cookie Edge And Side of Pan. in Pot, Bring 1/2 Cup Cream to a Boil. Remove From Heat, Stir in Remaining chocolate chips Until Melted And Smooth. Cool 5 min. Pour Over Crust, Spreading chocolate Mixture to Edges. Refrigerate Until Set, 30 min.
- In Microwave Bowl, Sprinkle gelatin Over 1/4 Cup Cream, Let Stand 5 min. Microwave Mixture on High 30 Seconds, Until gelatin is Dissolved. in Pot, Bring 3/4 Cup Cream to a Boil. Reduce Heat, Add Butterscotch Chips. Remove From Heat, Stir Until Melted And Smooth. Stir in gelatin Mixture. Cool to Lukewarm, Beat 2 Cups Cream Until Soft Peaks Form, Stir 1/3 of The whipped cream Into Butterscotch Mixture. Fold in Remaining whipped cream Until Combined. Spoon Mixture Into Pan. Swirl Top of Mousse. Cover, Refrigerate 6 Hours. Remove Side of Pan. Slide Cake Onto Serving Plate. Garnish Cake With Piped whipped cream. Coarsely Chop Reamaining Candy Bar, Sprinkle on Cake.
Passion Fruit Mousse Cake Ingredients:
For the Cake:
- 1 plain white cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup water
- For the Passion Fruit Mousse:
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 packets unflavored gelatin
- 1 1/4 cup fresh or frozen passion fruit pulp
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons rum or pisco
- 5 egg whites
For the Passion Fruit Syrup:
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen passion fruit pulp
- 3/4 cup sugar
- For the Whipped Cream Frosting:
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
How to make Passion Fruit Mousse Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, add the cake mix, 3 eggs, 2 egg whites, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 1/3 cup buttermilk, and 1/3 cup water. Mix for 2 minutes or until well blended.
- Line the bottoms of 2 9-inch cake pans with wax paper, and divide the cake mix between the 2 pans.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the center of the cake springs back when lightly pressed.
- Let cakes cool 10 to 15 minutes in the pans. Run a knife around the edge of the cakes and flip them out of the pans. Set aside to cool.
- While the cakes are baking, make the mousse: Sprinkle the gelatin over the water and set aside for 5 minutes. Microwave for 15 seconds or until gelatin is dissolved (do not overheat). Whisk the melted gelatin into the passion fruit pulp and set aside.
- Make the cake soaking syrup: Bring 3/4 cup passion fruit pulp and 3/4 cups sugar to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, and remove from heat. Let cool and set aside. When cool, stir in 2 tablespoons rum.
- Make the italian meringue: Add egg whites to the clean bowl of a standing mixer. In a saucepan, bring 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water to a boil. Boil for 3 to 4 minutes, until the syrup starts to thicken and the bubbles are popping slowly.
- Until the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add the hot sugar mixture to the egg whites. Pour syrup in a thin stream down the side of the bowl to prevent splattering. Work carefully to avoid burns.
- Beat the meringue on high speed for 2 minutes, then reduce the speed to low and continue to beat so that the meringue will cool.
- While the meringue cools, beat the whipping cream until very soft peaks form. Do not overbeat.
- Fold the the passion fruit/gelatin mix gently into the egg whites. Do not overmix.
- Whisk a small amount of the meringue/passion fruit mixture into the whipped cream, then gently fold all of the whipped cream back into the meringue mixture.
- Slice each cake layer in half horizontally, so that you have 4 layers. Line the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan with a circle of wax paper. Butter the inside of the springform pan.
- Place one cake layer, cut side up, in the bottom of the springform pan. Brush the cake with 1/4 of the syrup. Spread 1/3 of the mousse over the cake.
- Cover mousse with another cake layer, and brush cake with syrup. Spread another 1/3 of the mousse over the cake.
- Continue to layer, ending with the fourth cake layer. Press cake down gently into the pan. Brush top of cake with syrup. Chill thoroughly – at least 4 hours to overnight.
- Pop the side of springform pan off of cake in one quick motion. Gently lift ring off, leaving cake on base.
- Add sugar to remaining whipped cream, and beat until stiff peaks form. Stir in vanilla. Spread whipped cream around sides of cake and on top. You can also use a pastry bag with star tip to pipe the whipped cream onto the top of the cake. Decorate with fruit, and serve chilled.
Cream Cheese Mousse Cake Filling Ingredients:
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese, SOFTENED
- 1 15 oz jar Polander seedless rasberry all fruit
- 1 8 oz tub Cool Whip
How to make Cream Cheese Mousse Cake Filling:
- Whip cream cheese in mixer
- Add all fruit and combine well
- Whip in cool whip
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to set.
White Chocolate Mousse Cake Filling Ingredients:
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, PLUS
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1 cup cocoa
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 jar (18-ounce size) strawberry preserves
White Chocolate Mousse Filling:
- 1/2 pound white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 package (16-ounce) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
How to make White Chocolate Mousse Cake Filling:
- Beat eggs until foamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is thick and lemon-colored. Add oil and vanilla; beat 2 minutes.
- Combine water and cocoa, stirring until smooth. Combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt; add flour mixture to egg mixture alternately with cocoa mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix just until blended after each addition.
- Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 5 minutes; remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- To assemble, split cake layers in half horizontally to make 6 layers. Place one cake layer on serving plate. Spread 1/2 cup preserves over cake layer. Top with second cake layer. Top with half of White Chocolate Mousse Filling.
- Repeat layers once. Top with fifth cake layer, and spread remaining 1/2 cup preserves. Top with remaining cake layer, cut side down. Spread frosting on top and sides of cake.
- WHITE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE FILLING: Place white chocolate in top of a double boiler; bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook until chocolate melts, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until mixture reaches soft ball stage (234 degrees F).
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) in a large bowl at high speed of an electric mixer 1 minute or until soft peaks form. Continue beating, slowly adding syrup mixture. Continue beating, slowly adding melted chocolate. Beat at high speed until very thick. Let cool to room temperature.
- Beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into cooled white chocolate mixture. Chill thoroughly.
Coconut Mousse Cake Ingredients:
- 450ml cream
- 1.5 tbl gelatin powder
- 3 tbl water
- 4 tbl icing sugar
- 165ml coconut milk
- A 71/2“ Sponge cake cut in half.
- Top layer
- 125ml cream
- flaked coconut to decorate
- Coconut balls
- Soaking syrup
- 3tbl coconut liqueur
- 2tbl sugar
- 3tbl water
How to make Coconut Mousse Cake:
- Heat the coconut milk with the icing sugar. Dissolve the gelatin in the water and add it to the coconut milk mixture. Let cool. Whip the cream till thickened do not whip it to stiff peaks. Add the coconut milk mixture to the whipped cream.
- Soaking syrup
- Mix the sugar and water. Boil until the sugar has melted, Add the coconut liqueur and let cool.
- Cover the sides of an 8” cake ring with acetate strips. Cut the sponge cake in two equal cake layers. The sponge cake has to be about an inch smaller than the cake ring. Use one as a base. Drizzled this with some coconut liqueur syrup. Make sure the sponge is in the center of the ring. Then pour half of the coconut cream mixture. This will be bit liquidy. Add the second layer of sponge, repeat with the coconut syrup and pour the remaining coconut cream mixture. Leave in the freezer for about 3 hours or in the fridge overnight.
- Decorate with whipped cream and coconut flakes.