Recipes for maa ki daal
1/2 cup whole urad (whole black lentils)
- 2 tbsp kidney beans
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 3/4 cup fresh tomato pulp
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt to taste
For the Garnish:
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Clean, wash and soak the whole urad and kidney beans overnight.
- Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the dals, and salt with 2 cups of water and pressure cook till the dals are overcooked.
- Whisk well till the dal is almost mashed.
- Add the milk and 1 cup of water and simmer for 10 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and ginger-garlic paste and saute till the onions turn golden brown.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and tomato pulp with 1/4 cup of water and saute for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add this to the dal mixture and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes till the dal is thick and creamy.
- Garnished with the coriander leaves.
- Serve hot!