Recipes for lahori
Lahori Chicken Karahi Ingredients:
- Tomatoes 4 (medium size)
- Yoghurt 1/2 cup
- Oil 2 tablespoons
- Salt 1 teaspoon
- Black Pepper Powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin 1/2 teaspoon
- Dry coriander 1/2 teaspoon
- Crushed red chillies 1/3 teaspoon
- Fresh Garlic 3 cloves
- Fresh Ginger Finely cut in stripes
- Fresh Coriander Chopped
How to make Lahori Chicken Karahi
- Put the saucepan on medium heat. Add chicken to it with garlic cloves and keep stirring for 5 minutes. Add all spices and a little water so that the chicken does not stick to the saucepan. Now cook chicken for 15 minutes on high heat with the lid on while making sure that it does not stick to the saucepan.
- When chicken is half done, add finely chopped tomatoes, yoghurt, oil and keep stirring on high heat for 10 minutes.
- Once the oil separates from gravy, add ginger green chillies and sprinkle fresh coriander with some Garam Masala.
- Cover and simmer on very low heat for few minutes.
- Have your chicken karahi with Nan bread and cumin raita!!
- Secret : Use Desi Ghee instead of oil for a wonderful taste.
- Lahori Chicken Karahi is ready to serve.
Cooking time : 40 mints
Lahori Paaye Ingredients:
- Beef / Cow Legs – 2
- Onion – 1 big
- Ginger Garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Mint leaves – 5
- Coriander Leaves – for garnish
- Roasted zeera powder – 1 tsp
- Pepper powder – 2 tsp
- Clove – Cinnamon powder – 1 tsp
- Green Chillies – 5 nos
- Tomatoes – 1 medium
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 3 tbsp
How to make Lahori Paaye:
- Wash the bones well and keep aside.
- Make a paste of Onions, and saute in a pressure cooker. When the paste turns pink, add the ginger garlic paste, chopped green chillies. Fry well.
- Then add the mint and coriander leaves, saute for 1 min. Then add the chopped tomato. Add salt. Simmer for 5 mins, so that it becomes soft.
- Add all the spice powders and mix well. Finally add the bone pieces and simmer for 5 mins. Add 1 – 2 cups of water and cover the cooker and put it on for 5 -6 whistle.
- Allow it to stay that way for atleast 6 hrs.
- Note: Chop the chillies if you don’t want it so hot, else slit the chillies. Adjust the pepper and chillies for the spice. I was told that red chilli powder and coriander powder will not be added to the paya. And this is normally made overnight and eaten the next day. If you want to eat the same day, then let it rest at least for 6 -7 hrs
Lahori Fried Fish Ingredients:
- 1 kg fish (clean,wash and cut into medium sized fillets/chunks)
- bread crumbs,for coating
- oil for frying
- 1/2 cup gramflour(Besan)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp red Chilli powder
- 1 tsp crushed red chillies
- 1 tbsp crushed whole coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp carom seeds(Ajwain)
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- salt to taste
- orange food colour,few drops
- water,as required
How to make Lahori Fried Fish:
- Combine all ingredients for the batter and enough water to make a thick paste.
- Apply this well on the fish.Marinate for couple of hours so that some marinade is absorbed by the fish.
- Now lightly coat with bread crumbs and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Deep fry the fish,in batches,in hot oil until golden brown.
- Drain and sprinkle some lemon juice on top of the fish with Chaat Masala.
- Serve hot with salad and lemon wedges.
Lahori Chicken Chargha Ingredients:
- 2 kg. chicken,( skinless & cut in large pieces with 3 deep slits on each piece )
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp crushed red chilies
- 2 tbsp red chillies powder
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg & mace powder
- Pinch of red/orange food color
- 1 tbsp oil,for cooking
- Extra oil,for frying
How to make Lahori Chicken Chargha:
- Rinse and clean chicken.Pat dry with paper towels.
- Make deep insertions/cuts on each piece of chicken using a sharp knife to allow the marinade to penetrate well.
- Place chicken in a dish and keep aside.
- Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl to make a paste.
- Rub this paste on each chicken piece,as well as on cuts.
- Pour the remaining marinade on chicken,cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours to allow the chicken to absorb the flavors.
- Now heat 1 tbsp of oil in a non-stick pan,put chicken and marinade in the pan.
- Cook,uncovered for 15-20 minutes ( turning occasionally ) or until chicken is tender and the water dries out. See Photo
- Remove chicken pieces.Heat oil for deep-frying.
- When oil is hot,fry chicken pieces in batches on medium-high heat until it turns golden brown on both sides and is roasted well.
- Remove from oil.Drain on absorbent paper.
- Quickly sprinkle Chaat masala on both sides.Squeeze lemon juice and serve hot.
Chicken Lahori Ingredients
Chicken 1 Of 1 & 1/2 Kg Whole
- lemon Juice 4 Tbsp
- ginger / Garlic 2 Tsp
- salt 2 Tsp Levelled
- garam Masala 1 Tsp
- choti Illaichi 4 Grinded
- orange Color Pinch
- chilly Power 2tsp
- jailfal 1/4 Piece
- javatri 4 Pieces
How to make Chicken Lahori
- Heat the oil in a pan for frying onion till it is light golden remove with a slotted spoon then crush.
- In the oil add the chicken pieces along with khoya and red chilly powder, coriander powder, cummin powder, salt and 1 cup of water approximately then stir.
- After 5 minutes add the yoghurt mixed with the fried onion and lower the heat.
- When the chicken is tender and very little liquid remains add the cardamom powder, kewra, lemon juice, nuts, saffron and half a cup of water. Cook over a low heat for approximately 5-10 minutes till the oil floats on top.
Lahori Tikka Ingredients:
- 1 kg chicken breasts and thighs
- 3 tblsp ginger and garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 fresh lemons
- 300g grated English cheese
- 300g yoghurt
- ½Half kg single cream
- 1 or 2 eggs
- 3 tblsp black pepper
- 4 green chillis (cut into small pieces)
- ½Half bunch fresh coriander
How to make Lahori Tikka:
Mix the ginger, garlic, salt and lemon juice to make a marinade and leave the chicken in it for 30-40 minutes. Then add the cheese, yoghurt, cream, eggs, black pepper and chillis and marinate for another hour before grilling the chicken. Serve with mint sauce and a leaf salad.
Lahori Charga Ingredients
- 1-1/2 kg whole chicken
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp yogurt
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cubebs
- 1/2 tsp yellow food color
- salt to taste
- oil for frying
For Garnishing Lahori Charga
- 1/2 tsp chat masala
- 3-4 lemon wedges
- Salad leaves
How to make Lahori Charga
- Rinse the chicken inside and outside properly then pat dry.
- Makes4-5 deep incisions or cuts on whole chicken by using a sharp knife then keep aside.
- Put all the ingredients in a blender and make a smooth paste of it.
- Rub this paste evenly over the chicken, cover and leave to marinate for at least 2-3 hours or overnight if possible.
- Take a deep pot and place a sieve upside in the base of the pot.
- Add one cup of water in it and put the chicken on the sieve.
- Put the lid on and steam on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep pan (karahi ) until too hot, then reduce the heat to medium .
- When oil is hot, fry steamed chicken for 12-15 minutes or until it turn golden brown on both side.
- Then remove from the oil and drain on absorbent paper.
- Sprinkle chat masala onto it.
- Garnish with lemon wedges and salad leaves.
- Lahori Charga is ready to serve.
- Serve Lahori Charga hot.