Home / Tag Archives: kerala style
Tag Archives: kerala style
Kaalan Karhi Ingredients
- 1 large cucumber skinned and seeded and cut into large cubes
- (substitute with plantain/yam/mango/pineapple)
- 3 small Thai green chilies slit
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tspturmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 3 cups yogurt stirred well
- To Grind
- 3/4 cup grated coconut (fresh/frozen available in Indian grocery stores)
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- For Seasoning
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 3 whole dry red chilies
- a few curry leaves
How to make Kaalan (Kerala Style) Karhi Recipe
- Grind the coconut and cumin seeds with just enough water to make a really smooth paste.
- Cook the vegetables with the green chilies, red chili and turmeric powders, salt and a cup of water in a large saucepan till the vegetables are tender.
- Add the ground coconut paste to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook for two minutes. Stir in the yogurt and mix well. Cook on low heat till the liquid is heated through, but do not let it boil otherwise the yogurt will curdle. Remove from the heat.
- In a frying pan, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. When these start to splutter, add the rest of the seasoning ingredients and fry till the chilies turn dark brown. Pour this over the curry and mix well.
- This karhi keeps well in the refrigerator for couple of days. Do not reheat, just bring it back to room temperature before serving with warm rice.