Home / Tag Archives: Karela Recipes
Tag Archives: Karela Recipes
Karelian Rice Pasties Ingredients:
- For Rice Mixture
- 500 ml Water
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 250 ml Short-Grain Glutinous Rice
- 1 ltr Milk
- 1½ tsp Salt
For Rye Dough
- 400 ml Rye Flour
- 150 ml Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 200 ml Water
For Egg & Butter Spread
- 100 g Butter
- 3 Hard-boiled Eggs (mashed)
- 50 ml Parsley (chopped)
How to make Karelian Rice Pasties:
- Place a saucepan on fire and add water and butter.
- Boil the water and stir in the short-grain rice.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the milk and continue stirring, until it starts boiling.
- Simmer for 50 minutes, till the rice is cooked.
- Season the rice with salt. Remove and set aside.
- Mix together rye flour, plain flour, salt and water.
- Work on to form dough.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface, till it is about 2 mm thick.
- Cut into circles that are 8 cm in diameter, using a cutter.
- Roll out each circle into thin crusts.
- Fill each crust with a thin layer of the rice preparation, in the center.
- Turn up 1 cm of the side, to create an edge and pinch the edges.
- Repeat with other crusts.
- Bake the pasties at 570°F (300°C), for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Mix butter and milk to form the glazing.
- Remove the pasties from oven and brush with the glazing.
- Keep the pasties under a tea towel or greaseproof paper, to soften.
- Soften the butter and mix with mashed eggs and parsley.
- Serve the pasties hot with egg and butter spread.
Karela Masaledar Ingredients:
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- oil to fry
- 5 -6 bitter gourd
- salt to taste
- 2 medium sized onions
- 1 tsp dry mango powder
ow to make karela masaledar
- Take off and reserve the scrapings of the karelas.
- Give a slit on one side and take off all the seeds.
- Cut karelas into thin slices.
- Wash and rub two table spoons salt all over the karelas and its scrapings.
- Set aside for 3-4 hours.
- Wash completely again and squeeze dry the karelas.
- Heat up oil in kadhai.
- Deep fry the cut karelas till dark brown and crisp.
- Take off the karelas and keep aside.
- Slice onions.
- Heat up 3 tblsp of oil in a kadai.
- Mix in cut onions.
- Stir fry for 3-4 minutes till they are transluscent.
- Mix in scrappings of karela and let it stir fry till onions are a little brown.
- Mix in turmeric powder, coriander powder, dry mango powder and red chilli powder.
- Mix in the fried karelas to the above mixture and stir fry covered on low heat up for 5-6 minutes.
- Mix in salt if needed.
- Serve hot with chappatis.
Karela Masala Ingredients:
- 2-3 Medium-Sized Bitter gourds (deseeded and cut into thin slices)
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 Tomatoes (chopped)
- 2-3 Green Chilies (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/4 tsp Dried Mango Powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
How to make Karela Masala:
- Take oil in a pan and heat it.
- Add cumin seeds and once it begins to sizzle, add in onions and green chillies.
- Fry till onions tenderize and brown.
- Now add red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt and saute to blend in spices.
- Add in tomatoes, ginger-garlic paste and dried mango powder.
- Fry till tomato juices dry up.
- Add salt and sliced bitter-gourd and cover cook for 7-8 minutes till done.
- Sprinkle garam masala on top and serve hot.