Shelled prawns 2 lb
- Garlic 2 pods
- Onions 4
- Red chilies 12 dry
- Turmeric powder 1 tsp
- Gingelly oil 3/4 pint
- Vinegar 3/4 pint
- Green Ginger 3 oz
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
- Green chilies 10
- Spring curry leaves 1
- Sugar 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Grind the onions, red chilies, pepper, 4 cloves garlic to a smooth paste.
- Put in a saucepan to boil, together with the prawns and 1/2 pint water and salt.
- Simmer till water disappears. Remove from heat.
- Heat half the oil and fry the cooked prawns till well browned.
- Remove from oil and keep aside. Grind with 2 tbsp vinegar, 2 oz ginger, 12 cloves garlic and mustard seeds, turmeric powder and cumin seeds, to a paste.
- Slice remaining ginger, garlic and green chilies.
- Add remaining oil to the oil in which the prawns were fried and fry the sliced ingredients.
- Add curry leaves and ground paste and fry stirring continuously.
- Pour in the vinegar, season with salt and bring to boil. Then add fried prawns and sugar and simmer, stirring occasionally, till the oil floats to the top.
- Cool and bottle in air- tight jars.