Italian Bread Pudding Ingredients
5 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
- 1 (5-oz.) package frozen mozzarella-and-Monterey Jack cheese Texas toast, chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 8 fully cooked bacon slices, chopped
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- Garnish: fresh basil leaves
How to make Italian Bread Pudding
- Whisk together first 6 ingredients until blended.
- Layer half of Texas toast in a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish; sprinkle with half each of tomatoes, bacon, and cheese. Repeat layers once. Pour egg mixture over toast and cheese. Cover and chill 4 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Bake casserole 50 to 55 minutes or until center is set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Garnish, if desired.
- 1 1/4 cups egg substitute may be substituted.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Pepperidge Farm Mozzarella and Monterey Jack Texas Toast.
- Texas Toast Bread Pudding: Omit dried basil, tomatoes, and bacon. Proceed with recipe as directed.
- Sausage Roll Casserole: Omit dried basil, tomatoes, and bacon. Increase cheese to 1 1/2 cups. Substitute 1 (18-oz.) package frozen sausage wrap rolls for Texas toast. Break apart sausage rolls; cut each roll crosswise into thirds, cutting across sausage. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Italian Bread Pudding is ready to serve.
Prep: 15 min.
Chill: 4 hr.
Bake: 55 min.
Stand: 5 min.
Yield: Makes 6 servings