Indian Lamb Ingredients
4-5 lbs lamb cut into 1″ square cubes
- 6 tbsp oil
- 1 med onion chopped coarsely
- 1 whole bulb garlic (approx 15 cloves) minced
- 3 tsp salt (more if desired, but start with this)
- 3 tsp tumeric powder (yellow curry powder)
- 6 tsp masala powder (allspice)
- 1 bunch cilantro
- fresh chilies (start with little bit, add to desired heat)
- 3 med potatoes, peeled and quartered
- the leaves from 1 stem of curry leaves (optional)
- 4 cups water
How to make Indian Lamb
- In a large cooking pot on medium/high heat, add the oil, and heat until oil is hot, add onions, and fry until light brown.
- Stir in tumeric powder, and 30 secs later add the garlic and chilies. Mix for about 1 min, add the curry leaves (make sure no stems), and stir in the lamb.
- Add the Masala powder and salt and mix. Cook covered for about 5 mins.
- Add the water, then cover and cook for 20 minutes. Add the potatoes, and cook another 20 minutes covered.
- Check to see if meat is cooked, potatoes are softened, and taste for salt, and chilies, and sauce has thickened.
- If needed, cook longer until the desired result.
- Garnish with cilantro, serve over rice (basmati is best) and that’s it.
- This is the basic recipe, and measurements are also approximate, if the sauce thickens too fast during cooking then add water till the desired result.
- The sauce, when it’s finished should be the same thickness as pancake batter, or clam chowder.
Indian Lamb is ready to serve.
45-50 minutes to make