Recipes for iftar
pakistani iftar recipesSponsored Links:
Aloo Ki Chaat Ingredients:
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1/4 cup imli ka ras
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 1 teaspoon chilly powder
- 1.5 teaspoon chat masala
- 1/2 teaspoon khati powder
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 3 – green chillies chopped
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped
How to Make Aloo Ki Chaat
- Boil potatoes in plenty of water until tender, about 20 minutes. Peel the potatoes and place them in refrigerator until cold. Cut them into small cubes and keep aside.
- In a small bowl, put together imli ka rus, salt, chili powder, khati powder and chaat masala, stir to mix the ingredients.
- In a large bowl combine potatoes, tomatoes, onions, green chilies and coriander leaves.
- Pour imli mixture over potatoes mixture and stir gently with a wooden spoon to coat the potato with spices. Serve warm or cold. To serve warm microwave for 1 minute.
Dal Maash Dahi Baray Ingredients
2 cups dal Maash dhuli (white) or Moong (dhuli) presoaked for 4-5 hours
- Pinch of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pinch of asafetida (Heeng)
- 1 teaspoon. ginger (Adrak) paste
How to make Dal Maash or Moong ka Dahi Baray
- Grind the presoaks dal into a paste and add rest of the spices.
- Mix well and leave for 30 minutes.
- Then in a frying pan add 1 tbs. of oil and with the help of a spoon drop into the pan flat rounded patties and shallow
- fry till light brown.
- DO NOT TURN OVER TO FRY OTHER SIDE.
- Meanwhile heat oil for deep frying and then deep fry.
- When golden brown remove and cool.
- When serving, soak in a bowl of water and when a little soft squeeze out the water between palms and add to prepared yogurt.
- YOGURT: Beat the yogurt adding a little water to a paste.
- Add salt, red chili powder and 1/2 teaspoon zeera powder. 1 teaspoon corn flour and 1 teaspoon sugar
- Garnish with sweet Imli Chutney and Chat Masala.
A quick, oil free channa chaat that works as a great salad too. You can use either black chickpeas, hara chana or kabuli channa. This particular recipe does not call for yogurt, sweet or green chutney that are an integral part of most chaat recipes.
- Chick peas or channa (black or white)
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 finely chopped tomato
- a tbsp of coriander leaves
- pinch of chilli powder or pepper powder
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp chaat masala powder
- Dash of lemon juic
How to make Channa Chaat
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl, mix up them and add lemon juice.
- Serve chill
Aloo Chana Chat Ingredients:
- 250gms Boiled Chick peas
- 3 Potatoes, boiled, peeled, diced
- 1 tsp Roasted cumin powder
- 1 tsp Chaat masala
- 1 Small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 inch ginger (grated)
- 1 Tomato, deseeded, medium chopped
- 2 Green chillis, deseeded, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp Chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp Oil
- Juice of 1 to 1 1/2 lemons
- Salt to taste
How to make aloo chana chat:
- Wash chick peas and strain.
- Boil potatoes until soft and dice in 1cm cubes.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan and over moderate heat put the chopped green chilies, onion and ginger and saute for a minute.
- Throw in the chick peas and potatoes, and toss until slightly brown.
- Finally add the tomatoes and toss it over medium heat.
- Sprinkle cumin powder ,red chilli powder and chaat masala
- Place the mixture in the bowl and sprinkle fresh coriander with salt to taste.
- To add the punch squeeze lemon juice on top.
- 6 eggs beaten
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley, chopped fine
- 3/4 cup imported pecorino romano cheese, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Plus, plain tomato sauce for the cooked patties.
How to make Egg Patties
- Mix all ingredients, allow to sit 1 hour. The mixture must have the consistency of wet cement — not too runny. Can add more bread crumbs or Italian cheese if needed.
- Fry 1 tablespoon full of the egg mixture in canola oil (about 1/2″ deep), dropping several into your pan. Turn when pattie is brown and cook both sides. Remove when brown, drain on paper towels and add to tomato sauce. Sauce should be somewhat thin since the egg pattie will absorb the sauce.
Makes: 18 patties
- MIXED BAKERY NIMKO 2 CUPS
- LEMON JUICE 2 SPOONS
- TOMATO CHOPPED 1 CUP
- ONION CHOPPED HALF CUP
- PODINA FINELY CHOPPED 2 TEA SPOONS
- KETCHUP 1 CUP
How to make Crunch Chaat
- MAKE THIS CHAAT JUST BEFORE SERVING.
- MIX NIMKO, CHOPPED ONION, PODINA AND CHOPPED TOMATO.ADD KETCHUP AND MIX WELL, IN THE END POUR LEMON JUICE.
- ITS VERY EASY AND TASTEY CRUNCHY CHAAT.
You do not undergo to take home your own pastry. You can easily buy a good deal of ready-made pastry based on information from the shop. For samosas you like to fry, use Filo Pastry and for samosas you would like to cook in the oven use Puff Pastry.
This recipe will get a sufficient amount of pastry for 24 samosas and you is able to need:
- 225gm. plain flour
- 2 tspn. salt
- 2tblspb. vegetable oil
- 80 ml warm water
How to make Samosa Pastry
- Mix flour salt into a bowl. Make a far to the centre and add the oil and sufficient water to produce a organization dough. Knead the dough on a floured surface until sly and roll into a ball. Cover in plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Divide the pastry to 12 equal pieces. Roll every piece into a ball and roll out to a circle of 15 cm. Divide such circle into two equal pieces providing a knife.
- Brush each margin with a miniscule amount water and form a cone order throughout your fingers, sealing the dampened edge.
- Fill the models with a tblpns of your specific mixture and press the two dampened edges up to seal the top of the cone.
Deep fry the samosas in hot oil until crisp and black take out and drain on a paper towel.
Vegetarian Samosa Ingredients:
For the Samosa stuffing:
- 2 cups boiled and cubed potatoes
- 1/4 cup cooked green peas
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp Red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp Ginger paste
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds or powder
For the Samosa covering:
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp oil
- Water to form dough
- Oil for deep frying
How to make Vegetable Samosa
- Mix flour, salt and 1tbsp oil.
- Add water little by little, form tight dough and keep aside.
- Mix all the stuffing ingredients together in a bowl.
- Take a lime sized ball of dough and roll out in a circle of about 6? diameter on a rolling board using a rolling pin.
- Cut the round into half, each half makes one Samosa.
- Add a big tablespoonful of the stuffing on one piece, fold into a triangle, holding the stuffing in carefully.
- Press the edges together to seal.
- Form all the Samosas in the same way
- Heat oil for frying and keep it on medium heat
- Add the Samosas into the hot oil and fry on both sides till they are golden brown
- Remove and drain well.
- 1 Large potato
- 1 Small onion
- 1/2 tsp Ginger
- 1 clove Garlic, chopped
- 1/4 tsp Coriander seeds
- 1 tsp Curry powder
- 1/4 tsp Ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp Ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup Chicken stock
- 1 pkg 2 9-rounds store bought, raw pie dough
- 1 Egg, beaten with splash of water
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 piece half Inch ginger
- 1 bunch Fresh mint, leaves removed from stems
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Juice of two limes
- 1 tbsp Water
How to make Baked Samosa:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook the potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water until tender. Drain and reserve in same pot you cooked them in.
- In lg skillet over med high heat, add evoo.
- Add onion and cook until soft, 3-4 minutes, then add ginger, garlic, coriander seeds, curry powder, cumin, cloves, cinnamon, salt and pepper, cook about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll both doughs.
- Cut each dough round into 8 equal wedges.
- Spoon 1 tsp of the potato filling onto the middle of each wedge.
- Brush edges with egg wash and fold up, bringing three points to each other, then pinching at the seams to form a small pyramid.
- Brush outside of each samosa with the egg wash and trans to baking sheet. Bake 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
For dipping sauce:
- Place garlic and ginger in processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add mint, cilantro, sugar, salt, lime juice, and puree until ground.
- Add water and evoo pulse to combine.
Chicken Samosa Ingredients:
- 2 cups of All-Purpose Flour (Maida)
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 2 tbsp. Clarified Butter (Ghee) or Cooking Oil
- ¼ tsp. Cooking Oil
- 4 tbsp. Water
- 2 cups of Boneless Chicken (cubed)
- 1 large Onion (chopped)
- 2 medium Potatoes
- 1 tsp. Ginger Paste (Pisi Adrak)
- 1 tsp. Garlic Paste (Pisa Lehsan)
- 3 tsp. Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp. Cumin Seeds (Saabut Sufaid Zeera)
- 1 tsp. Red Chilli Powder (Pisi Lal Mirch)
- 1 tsp. Turmeric Powder (Pisi Haldi)
- 3 tsp. Salt
- 8 tbsp. Olive Oil
How to make Chicken Samosa:
- Sift the all-purpose flour and salt together in a bowl or dish.
- Add the 4 tbsp. of oil to flour and salt and mix it in well with your hands until the mixture resembles coarse breadbrumbs.
- Add in the water and mix well with hands into a dough to form a stiff ball.
- Take the dough ball out of the dish and put it onto a clean counter surface. Knead the dough well with hands until it turns into a smooth dough. Form it into a round ball.
- Rub the ball with another ¼ teaspoon of oil and cover it with plastic wrap or a plastic bag.
- Set it aside for atleast 30 minutes to let it rise.
- Mix the ginger paste, garlic paste, cumin seeds, pisa garam masala , red chilli powder, turmeric powder, and salt with 4 tablespoons of the olive oil. Mix it into a paste.
- Mix the spices with the cubed chicken and marinate it in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Seperately in a frying pan saute the chopped onion with 4 tablespoons of the olive oil until it is golden brown.
- Add in the marinated chicken and mix.
- Cover and let it cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes by stirring occasionally in between.
- Add in the diced potatoes and mix.
- Cover and let it cook for another 15 minutes or until the potatoes are done. Take off heat and let it cool.
- Knead the pastry dough again with hands and divide it into eight balls.
- Keep all balls covered while you work on one at a time.
- Roll each ball out into a 7 inch (18 cm) round.
- Cut it in half with a knife.
- Pick up one half and form a cone out of it, making a ¼ inch wide (5 mm), overlapping seam.
- Glue the seam together with a little water.
- Fill the cone with about 2 ½ tablespoons of the potato mixture.
- Close the top of the cone by sticking the open edges together with a little water.
- Again, your seam should be about ¼ inch (5 mm) wide.
- Press the top seam down with the prongs of a fork or flute it with your fingers.
- Repeat this process for each remaining balls.
- Heat about 1 ½ to 2 inches (4-5 cm) of oil for deep frying over a medium-low flame.
- When the oil is hot, put in as many samosas as the pan will hold in a single layer.
- Fry slowly, turning the samosas frequently until they are golden brown and crisp.
- Put each fried samosa on a paper towel to absorb any access oil.