French Green Beans with Butter Sauce and Crispy Leeks Ingredients
Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup(s) buttermilk
- 2 small leeks (white and light-green parts only), sliced into 1/3-inch-thick rounds
- 2 tablespoon(s) chopped leeks, cleaned well and patted dry
- 1/2 cup(s) white wine
- 3 tablespoon(s) vinegar
- 2 tablespoon(s) chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon(s) sugar
- 10 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter, cold
- 1 1/2 pound(s) haricots verts, steamed and kept warm
How to make French Green Beans with Butter Sauce and Crispy Leeks
- For fried leeks, heat 1 inch oil to 350 degrees F in a heavy pot. Meanwhile, in a bowl, stir flour with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. In another bowl, pour
buttermilk. Working in about 4 batches, coat leek rounds in buttermilk, then dredge
in flour. Shake off excess flour and fry leeks until golden, about 1 minute. Transfer to paper towels. Repeat with remaining leek rounds.
- For butter sauce, place white wine, vinegar, celery, chopped leeks, remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper, and sugar in a pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and cook until liquid is reduced by two-thirds. Whisk in butter, a few pieces at a time, adding more only when fully incorporated into sauce.
- Transfer steamed green beans to platter, drizzle with butter sauce, and top with
French Green Beans with Butter Sauce and Crispy Leeks is ready to serve.
Total Time: 35 min
Prep Time: 35 min