- Refined flour (maida) 2cups / 200gm
- Salt to taste
- Bicarbonate of soda a pinch
- hee 1 tbsp / 15 gm
For the Filling:
- Split black gram (dhuli urad dal), washed, soaked for 2 hours, drained 1 cup / 150 gm
- Cumin (Jeera) seeds 1 tsp / 2 gm
- Asafoetida (hing) a pinch
- Coriander (dhaniya) Powder 2 tsp / 3 gm
- Red chilli powder 1/2 tsp / 1 gm
- Salt 1 tsp / 4 gm
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Sift the flour, salt, and bicarbonate of soda.
- Rub in the ghee and knead with enough water to make a hard dough.
- Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- For the filling, grind all the ingredients together coarsely on a stone slab or in a mixer.
- SautÃ© the filling in 1 tbsp ghee till golden.
- Keep aside to cool.
- Divide the flour dough into 16 balls.
- Shape each ball into a small cup, fill 1 tbsp filling into the hollow, pinch together to seal and pat into rounds.
- Heat the oil in a wok (kadhai), deep-fry the rounds, a few at a time, on low heat till they puff up and become crisp and golden.
- Remove and drain the excess oil on absorbent kitchen paper towels.
Serve hot with aloo Ki khatti tarkari.
Preparation Time: 50 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins