Pickled Fish Ingredients
2 lb yellowtail, scaled and filleted, skin left on shopping list
- 5 cloves garlic shopping list
- 2 large onions shopping list
- 1 cup grape vinegar shopping list
- ½ cup water shopping list
- ½ cup golden brown sugar shopping list
- 8 peppercorns shopping list
- 4 cloves shopping list
- 4 allspice berries shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 Tbsp masala (curry powder) shopping list
- 2 tsp cumin, ground shopping list
- 2 tsp coriander, ground shopping list
- 1 tsp turmeric shopping list
- coarse salt, as needed shopping list
- oil, as needed for frying shopping list
How to make Pickled Fish
- Firm up the flesh of the fish, by sprinkling coarse salt on both sides of the fillet and letting it stand in a glass bowl for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Thoroughly rinse the fillet under running water. Pat it dry with a paper towel.
- Cut the fish into serving portions leaving the skin attached.
- Meanwhile (while you leave your fish to firm), Roughly chop the garlic
- Peel and slice the onions into rings.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, fry the fish until cooked through.
- Place the rest of the ingredients in a large pot, bring to the boil, stirring to
ensure the sugar dissolves, and does not burn on the bottom of the pot.
- Then simmer for approximately 8 minutes until the onions are cooked but still
- Layer the pieces of fish, the sauce and onions alternately in a ceramic or glass
- Ensure that the last layer of fish is covered with sauce.
- Leave to cool and then refrigerate.
- Will keep for a week in the fridge.
- Pickled Fish is generally served with green salad and crisp rolls.
Pickled Fish is ready to serve.
10 minutes to make