Eggplant and Red Pepper Terrine Ingredients
- 3 large red bell peppers (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 2 large, firm eggplants (about 2 1/2 lbs)
- 2 Tbsp grapeseed or peanut oil (high smoke-point oil)
- 1 1/2 cups loosely-packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 oz of fresh Mozzarella, cut into 1/8-in slices, about 14 slices
Raw tomato sauce:
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 to 3 ripe tomatoes (1 1/4 lbs), each cut into 6 to 8 pieces
- 1/4 cup virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
How to make Eggplant and Red Pepper Terrine
- Prepare the red peppers. Arrange the red peppers on a broiling pan and place them under a hot broiler so that their upper surfaces are about 1/2 inch from the heat. Broil for 15 minutes, turning occassionally, until the peppers are blistered and black on all sides. (You can alternatively blacken the peppers directly over the open flame of a gas cook-top, holding them and turning them with tongs.) Place them in a brown paper or plastic bag and close the bag. Let the peppers steam in their own residual heat inside the bag for 10 minutes. Then peel them (the skin will slide off) and remove the seeds.
- Note that Trader Joe’s makes an excellent bottled cooked red pepper that can be used as a shortcut to the above step.
- Prepare the eggplants. Heat a grill or grill pan until very hot. Cut the eggplants into 1/2-inch slices and lay out flat on a large flat surface such as a baking pan. Brush the slices on both sides with the grapeseed or peanut oil, and sprinkle with salt. Cook the eggplant slices on the grill, covered, for 4 minutes on each side, until they are nicely browned and softened. If your grill does not have a lid, make a tentlike lid of aluminum foil and place it over the eggplant as it cooks.
- Prepare the parsley. While the eggplant is grilling, soften the parsley by blanching it in boiling water for 5 to 10 seconds. Remove, cool under cold water, drain.
- Build the terrine. Line a terrine mold (loaf pan) with plastic wrap. Arrange a layer of eggplant in the bottom of the mold and top it with about a third each of the red pepper pieces, parsley, and cheese. Repeat, beginning and ending with a layer of eggplant, until all the ingredients are used. Cover with plastic wrap and press on the wrap to compact the mixture. Refrigerate.
- At this point you can make the terrine in advance and store in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve it.
- Prepare the sauce. Place the garlic and tomatoes in a blender and blend until smooth. Push the mixture through a food mill (fitted with a fine screen) over a bowl. Add the remainder of the sauce ingredients. Mix well.
- To serve, pour some of the sauce on a large platter and unmold the terrine in the center. Cut it into slices and serve with the remainder of the sauce.
Eggplant and Red Pepper Terrine is ready to serve.